Biological Father Registry

Children and Family Services

What would you like to do?

What you need to know

The Nebraska Biological Father Registry helps men wanting to receive notice of adoption proceedings involving their children born out of wedlock.

The Registry consists of men who have filed the required notice with the Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services and have been found to be a father by a court of competent jurisdiction who is made known to the Department.

View the Nebraska State Statutes related to the Biological Father Registry.


I am a Father wanting custody

In order to file with Nebraska's Biological Father Registry, a Notice of Objection to Adoption and Intent to Obtain Custody form is required. It indicates a father's intention to seek custody of the child within thirty (30) days of the filing.

If a man has reason to believe that he is the father of a child born out of wedlock and he wants to preserve his legal rights in order to prevent the child from being adopted by others, he may file the notice at any Nebraska DHHS office. The law requires that the filing be done in person or by mail, only on forms provided by the Department.  

The filing must be within five (5) business days:

  • after the birth of the child;
  • from the receipt of a notice that he has been named as the possible father of the child; or
  • after the last day of publication of a notice that indicates he may be the father of the child.

The date of the filing is the date of actual receipt or the postmark when the notice is mailed. 

The law states that when a man files a Notice of Objection to Adoption and Intent to Obtain Custody, a legal proceeding must be initiated in county court in order to properly pursue custody. This must be done within thirty (30) days of the filing of the notice. Failure to do so, can result in the forfeiture of the man's rights in the matter which would allow an adoption to proceed regardless of his opposition.

Download the required form: Notice of Objection to Adoption and Intent to Obtain Custody