There are three types of foster parents in Nebraska:
Relative Foster Home
Kinship Foster Home
Licensed Foster Home
1. Background checks - Background checks are required for all members of the household that are 18 years old and older. A national criminal history check including fingerprinting will also be conducted.
2. Home Study - A home study is required and is conducted by either DHHS or a contracted foster care agency. Home studies vary in duration due to factors inside the home.
3. References - Three positive reference checks are required for each adult household member who will provide care to children.
4. Application - A completed foster care licensing application and a health information report is required for each adult household member providing care, signed by a health practitioner. These forms will be provided to you by DHHS or a contracted foster care agency.
5. Training - Adult household members providing care are required to attend foster parent pre-service training. This training will be provided to you by DHHS.
Provides training, support groups & mentors
Provides help with clothing & personal care items
Eligibility and Medicaid Benefits
Provides direct services to children and families