Medicaid and Private Health Insurance

Medicaid & Long-Term Care

What would you like to do?

What you need to know

​The Coordination of Benefits (COB) program gathers, verifies, and maintains the health insurance information of Medicaid-eligible individuals. With this information, Medicaid determines what claims it pays.

Frequently Asked Questions:

When should I report to COB?

If you are covered by Nebraska Medicaid and have other health insurance, please report any insurance policy information and any changes to your other insurance such as:

  • Termination of insurance
  • Changes to coverage type, insurance company, or policyholder
  • Lapses in coverage

    COB information can be reported by clients, DHHS staff, providers, or the Managed Care Organizations.

What kind of health insurance needs to be reported?

  • Employer-sponsored health insurance
  • Insurance purchased through an insurance company or agent, such as Medicare supplements and Medicare Advantage plans (HMO)
  • Student insurance
  • Insurance provided by someone who does not live in the same household as the Nebraska Medicaid client
  • Insurance that could pay a medical expense for any insured or provider (e.g. AFLAC, United Commercial Travelers, Washington National, etc.)


With questions, please contact:

 Coordination of Benefits

DHHS Division of Medicaid and Long-Term Care

Phone Number
(402) 471-3153
Mailing Address
P.O. Box 95026, Lincoln, Nebraska 68509-5026