Child Support Income Withholding

Economic Assistance

What would you like to do?

What you need to know

​Effective May 31, 2012, sections 466(a)(1), (a)(8) and 466(b)(6) of the Social Security Act require the use of the Income Withholding for Support (IWO) form in all cases in which a court has ordered a parent to pay child support by income withholding.

An IWO is an order that a Child Support Enforcement office or a private individual sends to the non-custodial parent's employer telling the employer to withhold support payments from the non-custodial parent's paycheck. 

If you have a private attorney, you may need to bring the IWO to his/her attention. 

If you handled your case on your own (without a private attorney or Child Support Enforcement) please note about the form:

  • The correct version of the Income Withholding Form MUST be used. If this form is not used, the employer can refuse the withholding order and not withhold the income.
  • You will need to include a copy of your court order. If you do not have a copy of your most recent order​ you can obtain one from the Clerk of the District Court in the county where your court order was established.

For Additional Information:

IWO Instructions