Massage Therapy FAQs


What would you like to do?

What you need to know


Question: Under what conditions may a person apply for a Temporary License? 

Answer: A Nebraska graduate who has met all requirements with the exception of the MBLEx examination and has not taken the examination is eligible to apply for a temporary license.

​Question: Who may apply for a Temporary License? 

Answer: Nebraska graduates who have submitted a complete examination application, and have not taken their examination for the first time, are eligible to apply for a temporary license.

Question: Will my license be issued the same day the application is received? 

Answer: Due to the high volume of applications received in our office each day, we cannot provide same day processing and issuance of licenses.

Conviction Reporting

Question: Am I required to report traffic convictions? 

Answer: Yes, if the conviction was a misdemeanor or felony and you were sentenced or paid a ticket through Traffic Court.  (Infractions are not required to be reported.)  Some examples are:  No valid registration, no driver's license on person, and driving under suspension.

Question: When do I need to report convictions? 

Answer: If you have a misdemeanor or felony conviction or credential discipline, you must report such actions to the Office of Investigations within 30 days of the conviction/action. Failure to disclose any such convictions/credential discipline could result in disciplinary action. 


Question: How do I put my license on Inactive Status? 

Answer: You can request inactive status at renewal time on the online renewal notice or you can request inactive status at any time by sending a written request to the Licensure Unit. 

Massage Therapy Establishments

Question: I would like to serve a complimentary glass of wine or beer to my customers. Is that OK?  

Answer: Licensees must not use, consume, serve, or in any manner possess or distribute intoxicating beverages or controlled substances upon the establishment's premises during the hours the establishment is open to the public.

Question: I'm moving my current establishment to another location. Can my license be transferred? 

Answer: When an establishment changes locations, a new license is required as the former license is not transferrable.  A new application, sketch of the new premises, self-inspection, and fee of $127 must be submitted and approved before operation can continue at the new location. 

Question: My establishment license has expired. How do I reinstate it? 

Answer: Expired establishment licenses cannot be reinstated. You must reapply for a new license by submitting a new application, sketch of the premises, self-inspection form, and the fee of $127.00.

Question: What must be done when an establishment is sold to a new owner? 

Answer: The new owner must submit a new application, sketch of the premises, self-inspection form, and the fee of $127.

Question: Where do I make a complaint about an establishment? 

Answer: Complaints should be directed to Investigations at (402) 471-0175 or emailed to:


Question: Do I need to notify your office if I move or change addresses? 

Answer: Any correspondence and renewal notices will be sent to the last known address. It is the responsibility of the licensee to keep the department informed of changes.

Question: What documents are needed to make a name change? 

Answer: A photocopy of a marriage certificate, divorce decree, annulment papers, adoption papers, or a court order verifying that a name change has occurred.


Question: Can I reinstate my license online? 

Answer: No. You must submit the reinstatement application via U.S. Mail or fax/e-mail. Please note that your application will not be reviewed until the required fee has been paid.

Question: Do I have to take an exam again? 

Answer: You do not have to take an exam to have your license reinstated.

Question: How many CE hours do I need? 

Answer: 16 within the past 24 months

Question: How much does it cost to reinstate? 

Answer: $145.00 for a massage therapist

Question: If I reinstate now, do I still need to renew my license when it comes up for renewal? 

Answer: Yes. You can count any hours you earned during the 24 months immediately prior to the renewal date.

Question: What do I need to do to get my license reinstated? 

Answer: In order to reinstate your license you will need to complete a reinstatement application, pay the applicable fee and have completed the required number of continuing education hours for your profession.