What would you like to do?

What would you like to do?

What you need to know

What you need to know

​When severe weather occurs, including flooding, the following information may be helpful for response and recovery efforts. 

Sections on this page

    News Releases


    Flooding Fact Sheets / Websites


    Hot Lines

    (800) 831-0550: The Nebraska Department of Agriculture (NDA) has established a hotline for agriculture-related donations such as hay and equipment.

    211: The Heartland United Way 211 is a good source for resource information including shelter needs, cleanup, food, clothing, etc. If you encounter difficulty reaching them by dialing 211, please call (866) 813-1731.

    (402) 817-1551: NEMA Joint Information Center has established a hotline currently staffed 24-hours-a-day to help people connect with needed resources. When possible, the call center is staffed with Spanish-speaking operators.

    (800) 464-0258: The Nebraska Department of Agriculture has set up a hotline for farmers and producers who are feeling emotionally overwhelmed.

    (833) 556-2476: Crisis Clean-Up Hotline can help Nebraskans needing help with property cleanup.

    (888) 692-4943: The United States Chamber's Disaster Help Desk can provide guidance for business owners.

    (402) 898-6050: Nebraskans who want to volunteer should call Salvation Army's volunteer hotline

    911: If you have an emergency, dial 911.


    Water Testing 



    Do I need a tetanus shot if I'm in a flooded area?
    Tetanus immunization is recommended for all adults every 10 years. Exposure to floodwaters doesn't increase the risk of tetanus according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.  However, if you get a severe wound or deep cut, check with your health care provider to see if you need a booster.  Tetanus is an infectious disease, but it's not spread from one person to another.  The bacteria that cause tetanus are found in the soil and usually enter the body through a wound.  The infection is very serious and will involve a long hospital stay. Surviving tetanus disease doesn't create immunity.  The only way to guarantee future protection is through immunization.


    Mental and Emotional Health

    Tips and Brochures


    Links and Resources

    Nebraska Department of Insurance Consumer Alert: Take Time to Review Your Flood Insurance Needs

    Follow NEMA on Facebook

    Follow NEMA on Twitter

    Nebraska's Local Health Departments

    Emergency Preparedness and Response

    National Weather Service - River Report

    CDC - After a Flood

    DEQ - Department of Environmental Quality
    Get information on debris cleanup, disposal of animal carcasses and hazardous waste.


    Nebraska Department of Insurance

    • NFIP Flood Insurance Claims Handbook  en Español
      • This claims guide by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), which oversees the National Flood Insurance Program, is a good resource for those who have flood insurance.
    • Residents with additional questions can contact the Nebraska Department of Insurance hotline at 1-877-564-7323 during normal business hours.


    Child Care Provider Natural Disaster Recovery Grant

    2019 Natural Disaster Recovery Grants are reviewed and awarded on an ongoing basis. Child Care Providers may only apply for a recovery grant one time and once funded, may not reapply for other Child Care Grant opportunities for one year. The application must contain all of the required information and supporting documentation, and all sections of the application must arrive together. The Child Care Grant Specialist and agency staff will carefully review each application to recommend whether or not it should be funded.

    Applicants are not entitled to the 2019 Natural Disaster Recovery Grant. The awarding of grant funds involves an agreement between the child care program and the Department of Health and Human Services to: provide child care for a minimum of one year, use the grant money for its intended purpose, and continue to maintain compliance with licensing and/or Child Care Subsidy regulations.

    2019 Natural Disaster Recovery Child Care Grant: Awards a maximum of $500 for License Exempt Providers, a maximum of $5,000 for Family Child Care Homes, and a maximum of $10,000 for Child Care Centers. Applicants must meet the following criteria to be eligible for funding:

    • A child care provider that has been affected by the blizzard and/or flooding that occurred in March of 2019.
    • A currently licensed Family Child Care Home, Child Care Center or a License Exempt Provider with a Child Care Subsidy Agreement.

    Once funded, providers must remain in business and/or maintain a Child Care Subsidy Agreement for one year following the grant award.

    Natural Disaster Recovery Grant Application