Low Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP)


What would you like to do?

What you need to know

ACCESSNebraska. Apply Today.

Access to safe and affordable drinking water and wastewater services is a fundamental element of health, safety, and well-being for households in Nebraska.

The Low Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP) helps low-income households with water utility services (drinking water or wastewater) costs, including deposits, reconnect fees, standard charges, standard fees, and taxes included in the household's water utility services bill. The Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) received federal funds from the Office of Community Services as a result of the Consolidated Appropriations Act of 2021 and the American Rescue Plan Act to administer LIHWAP. LIHWAP in Nebraska is 100% federally funded.

How can LIHWAP help me?

DHHS provides the following types of LIHWAP assistance:

  • Rate Reduction Assistance: A one-time payment issued to a water utility provider to reduce an eligible household's water burden. Water burden is the amount of income the household must pay towards water utility services. The payment amount is based on a calculation that accounts for the household's income and costs for water utility services. The minimum payment amount is $50, and the maximum payment amount is $500. These payments may result in a credit balance and do not require the household to have a past-due balance.
  • Priority Assistance: A one-time payment of up to $2,500 issued to a water utility provider to restore water utility services or eliminate a past-due balance for water utility services for an eligible household. A priority payment cannot result in a credit balance.

Eligible households may receive one LIHWAP payment (rate reduction or priority assistance) from October through September unless extenuating circumstances exist. 

Am I eligible for LIHWAP?

To qualify for LIHWAP assistance, a household must:

  • Be responsible for water utility services;​
  • Meet the citizenship and residency requirements;
  • Not otherwise be disqualified or ineligible; and, 
  • Include an individual that has an active Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) case or gross countable household income must be equal to or less than 150% of the federal poverty level (FPL).

LIHWAP Maximum Allowable Income
(October 1, 2023 - September 30, 2024)

Household Size

LIHWAP Gross Income Limit 
(150% of Federal Poverty Level) 



* For each additional household member, add $7,710.​​​

How can I request or apply for LIHWAP?

If your household has an active or pending Economic Assistance (EA) case, you may request LIHWAP without submitting a new application. If your household does not have an active or pending EA case, you must submit an agency approved application for LIHWAP.

Individuals can request or apply for LIHWAP:

  • On-line;
  • In-person at a Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) Office; or,
  • By calling ACCESSNebraska at the number below:
    • Lincoln: (402) 323-3900; 
    • Omaha: (402) 595-1258; or,
    • All other Nebraska communities: Toll Free: (800) 383-4278

How can I become a participating provider to receive LIHWAP payments for my agency's eligible customers?

The following forms must be completed and submitted to DHHS via email at: dhhs.lihwapmailbox@nebraska.gov.

DHHS will send a confirmation email once forms have been received, and your agency is approved to receive LIHWAP payments.​


Low Income Household Water Assistance Program
Department of Health & Human Services
(800) 383-4278
Mailing Address
P.O. Box 95026, Lincoln, Nebraska 68509-5026