State Ward Education


What would you like to do?

What you need to know

​​​​Neb. Rev. Stat. 79-215 requires the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) to pay for the education and transportation costs for students who are a ward of the state or a ward of the court, and meet the criteria outlined in the State Ward Education Regulations and Guidebook.

Covered education costs include those costs associated with regular education services, special education services, school transportation services, and special services. Educational services are paid for by DHHS only after they are rendered. Most of the rates are determined by the Nebraska Department of Education (NDE) and DHHS is prohibited from negotiating or contracting for its own separate rates. NDE also sets rules and regulations for what constitutes education services and resources.

View the Regulations -​ Title 395 CHILDREN AND FAMILY SERVICES: PROTECTION AND SAFETY​, Chapter 7 - State Ward Education Fund​.


Billing or Policy Questions: