Central Registry FAQs

Children and Family Services

What would you like to do?

What you need to know

Do I have to submit my check using the Portal?

Central Registry checks are not accepted via Fax or Email.

You may follow the steps below to request a check via USPS mail:

  • Complete a Central Registry Check Request Form (CFS-5)
  • Obtain a notarized signature on the Central Registry Check Request Form
  • If submitting your check for a Business or Organization:
    • Include the Business or Organization's Portal ID in order for results to be made available
      • If the Portal ID is not provided, results will be returned to the individual's address
  • Provide a $2.50 check or money order to DHHS. ($2.50 is the price per release form)
  • Mail the completed form to:
    DHHS Accounting
    PO Box 94906
    Lincoln, NE 68509

What do I do after submitting my Central Registry background check?

Once submitted to DHHS, your check will be processed in the order it was received. If you provide an email address, you will be notified when it has been updated or completed. Once processed, your check will be available to view on the portal using the Request Number and PIN associated with the Check.

Do requests expire on the portal?

Organization portal invites can be used for up to 30 days at which time they will expire and the organization will need to send another invite.

Once a request is started on the portal, the applicant has 60 days to submit the request for processing before it expires at which time another request will need to be started.

How long does it take to receive results?

The time it takes to complete a Central Registry check once it has been submitted to DHHS is five business days on average. Please allow up to two weeks for checks submitted via USPS mail. Users may be alerted to additional time requirements by checking the status of their Central Registry check on the portal

Why was my background check returned as Incomplete?

Central Registry checks submitted via the portal will require Individuals to complete each field. Checks can be sent back as incomplete if the uploaded notary page is not completed accurately or for the following reasons:

  • Incomplete Fields
  • Illegible information
  • No payment provided
  • No signature and/or notary
  • Check boxes not marked
  • Conflicting information

Can you explain the verification of identity process?

Under Nebraska Revised Statute 28-725 it is a Class V misdemeanor to release classified information from either the Nebraska Child Abuse and Neglect (CAN) Central Registry or the Nebraska Adult Protective Services (APS) Central Registry to a wrongful party. Therefore, all Applicants for Central Registry checks must have their Identity Verified.

Central Registry checks submitted via the portal have two options for identity verification:

  • Online Identity Verification
    • Correctly answer a number of questions, based on information submitted in the Central Registry check
  • Upload Notarized Signature
    • Print the Notary form when it is presented on the Portal
    • Have your signature notarized by a Notary Public
    • Return to the portal and upload a copy of the Notarized document

Central Registry checks submitted via mail require a notarized signature.

Applicants under the age of 19 cannot use the online identity verification option as the authorization for the Central Registry check must come from their parent or guardian. These applicants will need to use the notary upload option and have their parent or guardian sign the notary form.

Why are you charging for these background checks and how much do they cost?

Nebraska Revised Statute 28-718 (3) authorizes DHHS to charge for Central Registry checks as a way to recoup costs and support staff time.

Central Registry Portal Request using Online ID verification= total of $5.00 ($1.00 ID questions; $2.50 DHHS fee; $1.50 payment processing fee)

Central Registry Portal Request using Notary Form= total of $4.00 ($2.50 DHHS fee; $1.50 payment processing fee)

Central Registry Mail in Request=total of $2.50 ($2.50 DHHS fee)

When mailing in my background check, who do I make checks payable to?

Mail your completed Central Registry Check Request to:

PO Box 94906
Lincoln, Ne 68509

Make Checks payable to:

Department of Health and Human Services

Does my Business or Organization have to enroll on the portal?

Yes, in order to receive results directly, Businesses and Organizations must enroll on the portal. Also, each Business or Organization User on the Portal must have their own State of Nebraska User Account.

Can I have multiple users on my Organization account?

Yes, associating multiple User Accounts to a Business or Organization on the Portal is possible.

How can I find my Organization Portal ID and what should I use it for?

As a Business or Organization member on the Portal, your unique Portal ID number will be listed in the Portal's Header next to the name of your Business or Organization, on your Business or Organization's Home Screen. Businesses or Organizations will use their Portal ID to submit checks via USPS mail on paper. Results will then be available to the Business or Organization on the Portal when they're ready.

As an Organization, am I required to pay the $100 annual Nebraska.gov Subscription fee?

No. However, Nebraska.Gov Subscribers do receive additional benefits including monthly invoices, the ability to cover the cost of Online Identity Verification for your Central Registry checks, and access to additional services on Nebraska.Gov.

Who should I contact with questions about the portal?

  • For issues with the Central Registry Portal (navigation, clarification, error messages), please contact the DHHS Children and Family Services by phone at (402) 471-9272 or by email at DHHS.CFSCentralRegistry@nebraska.gov
  • For issues with payments, chargebacks, or subscription services, please contact the Nebraska.Gov helpdesk by phone at (402) 471-7810 or online at http://www.nebraska.gov/contact/

If I live outside the United States, can I complete my background check on the portal?

No. Applicants with addresses outside of the United States must complete the paper form and submit this form via USPS mail

My request was sent back as Incomplete on the portal, can I get back to it and edit it?

No. Once a request has been sent back as incomplete on the portal, the applicant must start a new request.

What if I am an emancipated minor?

If you are an emancipated minor, you must complete your request on the paper form and submit this via USPS mail along with documentation showing you have been emancipated.