Benefits for Kin and Relatives Caring for Children and Youth

Children and Family Services

What would you like to do?

What you need to know

Children and youth who are in the care of a kin or relative caregiver may be eligible to receive DHHS benefits.

The information on this page is targeted to kin and relative caregivers that are not involved with the foster care system. ​

Aid to Dependent Children (ADC) Relative Payee Case 

ADC is a grant payment for dependent child(ren) living in the home of a relative, conservator, or guardian. Your income is counted only if you wish to be included in the ADC grant payment as a non-parent needy caretaker/relative.

Participation in the Employment First (EF) Program is required for those adults that receive ADC and who are determined to be “work-eligible" individuals

The case record must contain verification and documentation of the relationship.

The child may also live with a legally appointed guardian or conservator. This is an individual appointed by the court to be in charge of the affairs of a person.

Eligibility factors include, but are not limited to: citizenship, Nebraska residency, income, resources and cooperation with Child Support Enforcement

View the income and payment standards.​

Medicaid for Children​

Medicaid for Children provides medical assistance to eligible low-income individuals. Your income is counted only if you wish to receive Medicaid for yourself. If the child has income, this income will be needed.

Eligibility factors include: citizenship or eligible alien status, Nebraska residency, Social Security Number, age, living arrangement, income for child, cooperation with Child Support Enforcement and assignment of third-party resources

View the income guidelines. ​

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)

SNAP increases the food purchasing power of low-income individuals and families. SNAP eligibility determination will take into consideration who is considered a household member. SNAP also looks at who purchases and prepares food together.   

Households qualify based upon household situations, including but not limited to resources, income, certain expenses, residency, and citizenship. 

If eligible, benefits are placed on an Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) card.

View the income guidelines.

Child Care Subsidy

Child Care Subsidy assists eligible parents and caretakers with the cost of child care while they work, attend employment-related training or school, or participate in another approved activity. 

The Child Care Subsidy program does count the income of the relative or kin caregiver. 

View the income guidelines.​

Women, Infants, and Children (WIC)

WIC provides healthy food, nutrition education, and a community of support to moms and children. If you are a woman who is pregnant or just had a baby, or a parents/guardian/foster parent of a child under 5 years old, you are welcome to apply by visiting or by calling a WIC office in your area.

Those who currently receive Medicaid or SNAP benefits are automatically income-eligible for WIC benefits.

WIC's income guidelines are based on the number of people living in the household. 

View the income guidelines.​

LifeSpan Respite

A service that is designed to give caregivers a break from the demand of providing ongoing care for another individual. This is provided when the caregiver lives with a person with special needs. 

Special needs is defined as a person of any age with needs resulting from an emotional, behavioral, cognitive, physical, or condition that necessitates receipt of care or supervision to meet the person's basic needs or to prevent harm from occurring.  Such conditions include, but are not limited to: developmental disabilities, physical disabilities, chronic illness, physical or mental conditions that require supervision, special health care needs, cognitive impairments, or situations at high risk of abuse or neglect.

View the income guidelines.​

Other Resources:

Kinship Navigation:

No matter how you came to be caring for the child(ren) in your home, Kinship Navigation can guide you to the emotional, financial, legal, and physical resources your family needs.

Grandparent support

Legal Aid