Cosmetology and Esthetics FAQs

Professions & Occupations

What would you like to do?

What you need to know


Question: Can I apply for a Temporary License before submitting my examination application? 

A. No. A completed examination application must first be submitted in order to be eligible to apply for a Temporary License.

Question: How do I get a new Exam Authorization Letter? 

A. Call (402) 471-2399 to have a new Authorization Letter sent to you.

Question: How long is my application kept on file before it's destroyed? 

A. 5 years

Question: Will my license be issued the same day the application is received? 

A. No, we cannot provide same-day processing and issuing of licenses..

Conviction Reporting

Question: Am I required to report traffic convictions?

A. Yes, if you were convicted of a misdemeanor or felony and you were sentenced or paid a ticket through traffic court. Some examples are: no valid registration; no driver's license on person; driving under suspension. Infractions (such as speeding) do not need to be reported.

Question: When do I need to report convictions?

A. If you have a misdemeanor or felony conviction, you must report it to the Professions and Occupations Investigations Unit within 30 days of the conviction. Failure to report a conviction can result in disciplinary action.


Question: Do I need to notify the Department if I move or change addresses?

A. Yes, because correspondence and renewal notices are sent to your last known address in our records.

Question: What documents are needed to make a name change?

A. You will need the Name Change or Reissuance Form on our website along with a photocopy of your marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court documents which verify an official name change.


Question: I would like to do makeup; do I need a license for this?

A. No.


Question: Can I reinstate my license online?

A. No. You must submit the reinstatement application via U.S. Mail.

Question: Do I have to take an exam again?

A. No, you do not have to take an exam to have your license reinstated.

Question: how m any CE hours do I need?

A. Eight hours within the past 24 months.

Question: How much does it cost to reinstate?

A. Cosmetologist or Esthetician: $153  Instructors: $85

Question: If I reinstate now, do I still need to renew my license when it comes up for renewal?

A. Yes.

Question: Is it eight hours for every year I was expired or inactive?

A. No. Only eight hours of continuing education is required. These eight hours must be earned during the 24 months prior to the reinstatement application being submitted.

Question: What do I need to do to get my license reinstated?

A. Complete the reinstatement application, pay the reinstatement fees, and have completed eight hours.


Question: Do I need a special permit/license to do booth rental?

A. No, the Nebraska Cosmetology Board does not regulate booth rental. You must practice in a licensed salon or establishment, however.

Question: How long does it take to get a salon license?

A. A salon application must be submitted at least 30 days prior to the opening date. If you're remodeling/building a home salon, you must submit a floor plan for pre-approval to be certain it meets state licensing requirements before any construction begins.

Question: I would like to serve a complimentary glass of wine or beer to my customers. Is that OK?

A. Yes, alcohol can be served to clients. Before providing alcohol to your clients, you must meet all requirements of the Nebraska Liquor Control Commisson and city ordinances if applicable. The Nebraska Liquor Control Commission website is: and their  phone number is (402) 471-2571.

Question: I'm moving my current salon to another location. Can my license be transferred? 

A. No. A new license is required. A new application, sketch of the new premises, liability insurance verification, and fee of $150 must be submitted and approved before operation can begin at the new location. 

Question: My salon license has expired. How do I reinstate it? 

A. Expired salon licenses cannot be reinstated. You must apply for a new license by submitting a new application, sketch of the premises, insurance verification, and the fee of $150.

Question: What must be done when a salon is sold to a new owner? 

A. The new owner must submit a new application, sketch of the salon, liability insurance verification, and fee of $150.