Developmental Disabilities Participants and Families

Disabilities Assistance
Developmental Disabilities

Planning Services

Your Service Coordinator helps plan your services. Planning occurs at scheduled meetings. 

Individual Support Plan (ISP) Team

You decide who is on your ISP team. It must include you, your Service Coordinator, and any developmental disabilities providers from which you get services. If you have a guardian, he or she is on the team. You can invite other family, friends, or organizations who support you.

Individual Support Plan (ISP) Meeting

This meeting is with your ISP team. There are at least two meetings each year.

  • Your annual ISP is the main planning meeting. Before your annual ISP meeting, your coordinator talks with you about your needs and what types of services are available.
  • Other meetings discuss your progress toward goals. When your services are not meeting your needs, any team member can call your Service Coordinator and request a meeting. 

Objective Assessment Process (OAP)

Funding is based on your needs. An assessment is completed to determine your Individual Budget Amount (IBA). You can use this amount to purchase services

Therap Access

Participants and guardians can access Therap, the electronic case management system.


Being eligible does not mean you will receive funding for services right away. There is not currently enough funds available for all requests. Once eligible, you will be placed on the wait list. Services will be offered when funding becomes available.

  • Funding is allocated by Nebraska Legislature based on priorities in Nebraska Revised Statute §83-1216 to people:
    • In immediate crisis
    • Who have lived in a Nebraska institutional setting for at least the past 12 months
    • Who are wards of DHHS or are under the supervision of the Office of Probation Administration and will transition out of the system at age 19
    • Transitioning from the educational system at age 21
    • Who are dependents of a member of the armed forces stationed in Nebraska
    • On the wait list, by date of application
  • You can have a Service Coordinator while you are waiting for developmental disabilities services.
  • While waiting, you may receive services from Medicaid, including Personal Assistance Services (PAS), services on the Aged and Disabled (AD) Waiver, or Lifespan Respite.

Nebraska VR

Collaboration Announcement - Information about the partnership between DHHS-DD and Nebraska VR.

Visit Nebraska VR's website for more information on what they do.

Nebraska Homestead Exemption

A person who is eligible for developmental disabilities services can receive property tax relief when they own a home. Information from the NE Department of Revenue. If you have questions, call (402) 453-8167.