Transitioning from High School

Disabilities Assistance
Developmental Disabilities

What would you like to do?

What you need to know

If you are between the ages of 16 and 21, you are “in transition" from school-based resources to adult services. 

  • You should apply for developmental disabilities services early in the transition process so that eligibility can be determined. You can even apply before age 16! 
  • To receive developmental disabilities services, you must be determined eligible.
  • Medicaid – You must apply for Medicaid and accept if qualified. Developmental disabilities services are provided under Medicaid Home and Community-Based Services (HCBS) Waivers.  

Developmental Disabilities Services

While you are in high school, day services are not available because they cannot replace what is available through the school system. Once eligible, you can have a service coordinator. 

After you have been determined eligible and are 21 years old, you may receive funding for day services. Information is available on our services page. Your Service Coordinator will help you choose services to meet your needs.

Transition Resources

Other Resources

Information and referral is available from Nebraska 211, hosted by United Way of the Midlands. Dial “211" on any telephone to find the help you need.