There are three types of foster parents in Nebraska:
Relative Foster Home
Kinship Foster Home
Licensed Foster Home
1. Background checks - These are required on all members of their household ages 13 years old and older, including a national criminal history check through fingerprinting for all household members age 18 years old and older.
2. Home Study - A home study is required and is conducted by either the Department of Health and Human Services or a contracted foster care agency.
3. References - Three positive references are required for each adult household member who will provide care to children.
4. Application - A completed foster care licensing application and a health information report are required for each adult household member providing care, signed by a health practitioner. These forms will be provided to you by DHHS.
5. Training - Adult household members providing care are required to attend foster parent pre-service training. This training will be provided to you by DHHS.
Provides services for youth aging out of foster care
Provides training, support groups & mentors
Provides help with clothing & personal care items
Provides grants for items such as sports/activity fees, music & dance lessons, prom attire, senior pictures, etc.
Provides direct services to children and families