Dental Assistant

License Application Procedures & Requirements

A Licensed Dental Assistant qualifies by:
1) having passed the Certification Exam for Dental Assistants (CDA)* offered by the Dental Assisting National Board (DANB)
2) either having
  • Graduated from an accredited dental assisting program or school** or
  • 1,500 hours of experience as a dental assistant within the past 5 years 
    Employment Verification form

Credential Information for Military Spouses

Application Form for license to practice as a Dental Assistant

License by Examination - Individuals who have taken and passed the CDA certification exam offered by DANB.

License by Reciprocity – Individuals who have been licensed in another state/jurisdiction and actively practiced dental assistance for at least 3 years (one of those years must be within the last 3 years).

All applicants are required to successfully complete the Nebraska Dental Assistant Jurisprudence Examination with a minimum score of 75%.

* Information about the CDA exam, including eligibility requirements, can be found on their website here.

** Training, education, or service gained while a member of the armed forces of the United States may be accepted toward the minimum standards of a credential upon submission of satisfactory evidence of substantial similarity to the education required for the credential. (Nebr. Rev. Statute § 38-1,141.)
Questions? Contact the DHHS Medical Office at or at (402) 471-2118. 

 Documents in PDF PDF format require the use of Adobe Acrobat Reader
which can be downloaded for free from Adobe Systems, Inc.
Good Life. Great Mission.