School Health Program
1. Provide quality improvement activities related to Nebraska state statutes and federal guidelines for school health:
b. Health screening;
c. Medication administration,
d. Self-management plans for diabetes & allergy/asthma
e. Physical and visual exams;
f. Emergency medical response to breathing emergencies;
g. School services for children with special health care needs;
2. Provide resources and guidance in the areas of disease and infection control practices at school.
3. Promote healthy school environments and practices to increase the prevalence of healthy weight in Nebraska children.
4. Promote healthy school environments and practices to reduce child and adolescent tobacco and alcohol use, and decrease exposure to secondhand smoke.
5. Provide a plan for gathering data from schools in order to: Provide a plan for gathering data from schools in order to:
a. Measure the delivery of required services and interventions at school;
b. Identify emerging trends in the health needs of Nebraska’s school children;
c. Assess the capacity of schools to meet child health needs that require attention at school.
6. Promote evidence-based, theoretically-sound, best practices in the delivery of professional school nursing services in the state of Nebraska.
7. Integrate early childhood health issues and service delivery into the school health program.
8. Promote community awareness of the health needs of children at school, and the role of school health professionals. Promote community awareness of the health needs of children at school, and the role of school health professionals.
9. Network with public and private agencies and organizations to improve community systems of care for children and families.
10. Serve as a resource & liaison for the development of school-located health care delivery in Nebraska.
For More Information Contact:
Carol Tucker, BSN, RN, NCSN
School & Child Health Program Manager
P.O. Box 95026
Lincoln, NE 68509-5026
Phone: (402) 471-1373
Fax: (402) 471-7049