|On this page you can find links to: |
Federal and State Government
Public Health Leadership and Education Links
Public Health Infrastructure
Reports and Data
Department of Health and Human Services Programs
- Public Health Association of Nebraska - This group is active in identifying and resolving Nebraska's health problems. It provides a forum for discussion and advocacy of the significant public health concerns facing Nebraska.
Public Health Association of Nebraska
- Nebraska Rural Health Association - This association works for stronger rural and regional representation in setting rural health policy.
Nebraska Rural Health Association
- Nebraska Hospital Association - The Nebraska Hospital Association represents Nebraska's hospitals and health systems. It provides the hospitals with state and federal legislative advocacy, health care trend and regulatory information, educational programming, communication and data reports.
Nebraska Hospital Association
^ Back to Top
- American Public Health Association - This national association works to improve the public's health and to achieve equity in health status for all. They promote the scientific and professional foundation of public health practice and policy.
American Public Health Association
- Association of State & Territorial Health Officials - This national nonprofit organization represents the state and territorial public health agencies of the United States, the U. S. Territories, and the District of Columbia. Its members are dedicated to formulating and influencing sound public health policy, and to assuring excellence in state-based public health practice.
Association of State & Territorial Health Officials
- National Association of County & City Health Officials - This national organization represents local public health agencies. It works to support efforts that protect and improve the health of all people and all communities.
National Association of County & City Health Officials
- National Association of Local Boards of Health - This organization represents the grassroots foundation of public health in America. Its mission is to prepare and strengthen boards of health, empowering them to promote and protect the health of their communities.
National Association of Local Boards of Health
^ Back to Top
Federal and State Government Links:
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services - This is the United States government's principal agency for protecting the health of all Americans and providing essential human services, especially for those who are least able to help themselves.
U S Department of Health and Human Services
^ Back to Top
Public Health Leadership and Education:
- Great Plains Public Health Leadership Institute - This is a year-long program designed to build and enhance the leadership skills of senior and emerging leaders in organizations whose primary mission is to improve the health and well-being of populations and communities. It is a public health leadership development for Nebraska, Iowa, and South Dakota.
Great Plains Public Health Leadership Institute
- University of Nebraska Medical Center/University of Nebraska at Omaha MPH Program - This is a specialized professional master's degree program designed to prepare graduates for work in public health.
University of Nebraska Medical Center MPH Program
^ Back to Top
Public Health Infrastructure:
- Turning Point - Turning Point, started in 1997, was an initiative of The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation and the W.K. Kellogg Foundation. Its mission was to transform and strengthen the public health system in the United States by making it more community-based and collaborative.
National Turning Point
- Public Health Foundation - This foundation is dedicated to achieving healthy communities through research, training, and technical assistance.
Public Health Foundation
- Center for Law & the Public's Health - Founded in October of 2000, the Center is a primary, international, national, state, and local resource on public health law, ethics, and policy for public health practitioners, lawyers, legislators, judges, academics, policymakers, and others.
Center for Law & the Public's Health
^ Back to Top
Reports and Data:
- Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) Resource List - List of Nebraska DHHS contacts and phone numbers.
DHHS Resource List
- Nebraska's Strategic Public Health Plan - A Strategic Plan to Strengthen and Transform Public Health in Nebraska: A Revision is a blueprint for improving the public health system in Nebraska. The purpose of this strategic plan is to identify a new vision for public health in Nebraska and the resources that are necessary to achieve the vision. This Plan is intended as a guide for public health leaders, as well as state and local policymakers as they continue to strengthen and shape the public health system. This Plan is an update from the first State Public Health Improvement Plan completed in November 1999, which was the impetus for tremendous changes in the delivery of public health in Nebraska.
View the Report
- A Point in Time Study: Self-Reported Health Status of Nebraska Adults by Local & District Public Health Department Region, 2005 - Nebraska Health & Human Services paid for a telephone survey in October of 2004 and June of 2005. The goal was to determine the health and behaviors of Nebraska's adults within the state's new local public health department regions. The survey focused on the 18 new departments, with Scotts Bluff and Dakota Counties assigned to their own districts.
A Point in Time Study
- Healthy People 2010 - This report is a framework for prevention for the nation. It is a statement of national health objectives designed to identify the most significant preventable threats to health and to establish national goals to reduce these threats.
Healthy People 2010
- Nebraska 2010 Health Goals & Objectives - This report outlines a set of health goals and objectives for the state to be achieved by 2010. This initiative shares the national goals of eliminating health disparities and increasing quality and years of healthy life for all people in Nebraska.
Nebraska 2010 Health Goals & Objectives
- Nebraska 2010 Health Goals & Objectives: A MidCourse Review - This report summarizes the progress that has been made in Nebraska over the past five years in meeting 203 health objectives and sub-objectives targeted for achievement in Nebraska by 2010. (These objectives were originally presented in the Nebraska 2010 Health Goals and Objectives report issued in May 2002.) The Nebraska reports are part of the nationwide Healthy People 2010 initiative which seeks to achieve two overarching goals: to increase quality and years of healthy life and to eliminate health disparities for all people in the United States.
Nebraska 2010 Health Goals & Objectives: A MidCourse Review
- Rural 2010 Health Goals & Objectives for Nebraska - This report outlines rural-urban disparities in 12 priority areas (such as access to high-quality health care, cancer, and injury prevention) and summarizes factors that may contribute to these disparities.
Rural 2010 Health Goals & Objectives for Nebraska
- Rural 2010 Health Goals & Objectives for Nebraska: Progress Report - This report looks at progress made toward Nebraska's Rural 2010 objectives over the past four years and examines health disparities that still exist between rural and urban Nebraskans.
- County and Service Area Profiles - Statistical profiles have been developed for all counties in Nebraska and each of the service areas. The profiles include a health and human service data, including demographic data, social indicators data, health status data, and maternal and child health data.
County and Service Area Profiles
- Nebraska Medicaid Reform - The goal is to reform Medicaid while protecting the needs of people and defining the appropriate role of government in helping to ensure access to adequate and affordable health care for all Nebraskans.
Nebraska Medicaid Reform
- Department of Health and Human Services Data - For more data reports, please refer to the research and statistics page or to specific Health and Human Services program websites.
- "Expanding our Vision" Conference - This conference was held in Omaha, Nebraska on Ocober 5-6, 2006. It emphasized issues concerning strengthening the public health infrastructure, including strategies for workforce development, building support for public health, data systems, collaborative leadership, performance accounting, and ethical challenges. The goal was to share the best practices from the Turning Point projects in Nebraska, Maine, New Hampshire, and Nevada that could be used by other states in developing stronger state and local public health systems.
^ Back to Top
Department of Health and Human Services Programs:
Office of Community Health and Performance Management
301 Centennial Mall South
P. O. Box 95026
Lincoln, NE 68509-5026
(402) 471-8259 (fax)