About Public Health
Nebraska's Local Health Departments
Public heath encompasses many activities and is defined as an organized process that protects and promotes physical and mental health and prevents disease, injury, disability, and premature death.
Public health services are population-based services that are focused on improving the health status of the entire population as opposed to the treatment of individuals.
Core Functions and Essential Services of Public Health
- Monitor health status to identify community health problems.
- Diagnose and investigate health problems and health hazards in the community.
- Inform, educate, and empower people about health issues.
- Mobilize community partnerships to identify and solve health problems.
- Develop policies and plans that support individual and community health efforts.
- Enforce laws and regulations that protect health and ensure safety.
- Link people to needed personal health services and assure the provision of health care when otherwise unavailable.
- Assure a competent public health and personal healthcare workforce.
- Evaluate effectiveness, accessibility, and quality of personal and population-based health services.
- Research for new insights and innovative solutions to health problems.
Top 5 Priorities for DHHS Public Health
- Becoming a trusted source for state health data.
- Addressing health disparities.
- Devising a media and education plan.
- Creating a culture of wellness.
- Providing budget transparency.