Helping Children Understand
Suggestions on Communicating With Older Children About Pregnancy-Related Depression
- Use simple and descriptive words like
- Reassure them often that they did not cause the problem.
- Let them know that this is not the kind of illness caused by germs. She did not catch it from anyone.
- Let the children know that mom is getting help and will get better soon.
- Let them know that mom may have some good and some bad times as she recovers.
- Ask the children how they can help mom to feel better - like drawing a pretty picture.
Information for Families |
Helping Mothers |
Depression in Fathers
Helping Children Understand |
Suggestions for Family and Friends