An organ and tissue donor can save up to 8 lives and enhance the lives of 60 more. Register to be a Donor.
The Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services administers the Nebraska Organ and Tissue Donor Awareness and Education Fund for the promotion of organ and tissue donation in the state. The Fund is funded by Nebraskans who voluntarily donate $1.00 at the time that they get or renew their driver’s license or state ID card.
- There are nearly 500 people waiting for an organ transplant.
- In 2015, 265 organ transplants were performed from 78 donors.
- About 54% of eligible Nebraskans are registered as donors on the State Donor Registry.
In the United States
- There are 120,000 people on the waiting list for an organ transplant.
- 82% are in need of a kidney.
- 22 people die each day waiting for an organ transplant.
- In 2015, 30,000 transplants were performed.