Commodity Supplemental Food Program (CSFP)

Subscribe Subscribe to this page 

What is CSFP?
CSFP is a United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) program which provides foods purchased and distributed by the USDA to:

  • Infants up to the 12th month of age

  • Children from age one up to the sixth birthday

  • Women who are pregnant, breastfeeding and/or who have had a baby within the past year.

  • Seniors who are 60 years or older

Proper nutrition and health care are very important to the growth and development of children. This is especially important during pregnancy and early childhood. Proper nutrition is also important in maintaining the health of senior citizens. It is for this reason that we provide commodity foods.

You could be eligible, if you:

  • have had a baby within the last 12 months,

  • have a child less than 6 years old,

  • are pregnant, or

  • are 60 years old or better.

To see if you meet the federal and state guidelines for the Program bring:

  • Proof of participation in a federal, state or local program or proof of income.

  • Birth certificates for all children under the age of six and for older adults. (If birth certificates are unavailable, some document verifying age must be provided.)

  • Pregnant mothers, if not visibly pregnant must provide a doctor's note verifying pregnancy. Postpartum women must provide a certificate of birth of an infant or other verification of pregnancy within the last year.

  • Proof of residence -- either a letter post marked within the last 30 days, or a utility bill with date and address on it.

  • An individual cannot receive assistance from CSFP and WIC (Women, Infants, and Children) Program at the same time. But a household can have different household members receiving assistance from each Program.

What will I receive?
The amount and kinds of foods issued depends on the age and special condition of the individual certified for the program.

An infant receives iron fortified formula. After 4 months of age, an infant may also receive rice cereal and juice.

Children, Women and Seniors

Milk -- Evaporated and nonfat dry milk
Eggs -- Egg mix powder
Fruits and Vegetables -- canned fruits, vegetables and juices
Canned Meat and Peanut Butter
Cheese (when available)
Cornmeal, Honey

Help is available in learning to use the commodity foods.

All commodity foods are specially purchased by the USDA.  Except for the cheese, they need not be refrigerated until they have been opened.

To find out if you or your children are eligible, contact the agencies listed below or the Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services, Lifespan Health Division, P.O. Box 95026, Lincoln, NE68509-5029, (402) 471-2781 or 1-800-942-1171.

Blue Valley Community Action -- Serving the following counties: Butler, Fillmore, Gage, Jefferson, Johnson, Nemaha, Pawnee, Polk, Richardson, Saline, Seward, Thayer, York

Central Nebraska Community Services -- Serving the following counties: Blaine, Boone, Boyd, Brown, Cherry (Eastern), Colfax, Custer, Garfield, Greeley, Hall, Hamilton, Holt, Howard, Keya Paha, Loup, Merrick, Nance, Platte, Rock, Sherman, Valley, Wheeler

Goldenrod Hills Community Action -- Serving the following counties: Antelope, Burt, Cedar, Cuming, Dakota, Dixon, Knox, Madison, Pierce, Stanton, Thurston, Wayne

Eastern Nebraska Community Action partnership -- Serving the following counties: Dodge, Douglas, Sarpy, Washington

Indian Center, Inc. -- Serving the following counties: Cass, Lancaster, Otoe, Saunders

Community Action Partnership of Mid-NE-- Serving the following counties: Adams, Buffalo, Chase, Clay, Dawson, Dundy, Franklin, Furnas, Frontier, Gosper, Harlan, Hayes, Hitchcock, Kearney, Keith, Lincoln, Nuckolls, Perkins, Phelps, Red Willow, Webster

Panhandle Community Services -- Serving the following counties: Banner, Cheyenne, Deuel, Garden, Kimball, Morrill, Scotts Bluff

Western Community Health Resources -- Serving the following counties: Box Butte, Cherry (west), Dawes, Sheridan, Sioux

"In accordance with Federal law and U.S. Department of Agriculture policy, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age or disability.

To file a complaint of discrimination, write USDA, Director, Office of Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C.20250-9410, or call (800) 795-3272 (voice) or (202) 720-6382 (TTY). USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer."

For more information, contact:
Barb Packett, CSFP Food Distribution Coordinator
Commodity Supplemental Food Program (CSFP)
P.O. Box 95026
Lincoln, NE 68509-5026
(402) 471-0189

Lifespan Health Page

Health & Wellness Page