- Find out about the health status of the people of Nebraska.
- Decide what needs to be done to improve and protect health.
- Work together with partners to improve and protect health.
- Make it possible for people to get preventive health services.
- Target services and education to people at high risk of disease and injury.
- Find out whether the programs have improved and protected health as planned.
What these funds do for Nebraska
The PHHS Block Grant currently funds nearly 20 projects that address a variety of priority health issues. These projects help Nebraska be healthier by:
- Increasing healthy eating and physical activity to prevent obesity.
- Protecting children from injury in car crashes and older adults from falls.
- Doing needs assessment, data collection and analysis.
- Teaching people with diabetes to manage their care and prevent damage.
- Working to reduce health disparities among racial and ethnic minorities.
- Helping Local Health Departments plan ways to improve health in their areas.
- Providing laboratory testing for sexually transmitted diseases.
- Preventing sexual assault and helping victims of sexual assault.
The PHHS Block Grant funds are an investment in prevention. The pay-off is decreased health care costs in the future. The PHHS Block Grant helps to reach the objectives set out in Healthy People 2010: National Health Promotion and Disease Prevention Objectives.
Federal Preventive Health & Health Services Block Grant Resource Materials
Federal PHHS Block Grant Website
10 Tips for Writing Success Stories, 87KB
Success Story Criteria, 99KB
Online SMART Objective Tool
For more information, contact:
Nebraska Health & Human Services System
P.O. Box 95026
Lincoln, NE 68509-5044
Documents in PDF format require the use of Adobe Acrobat Reader
which can be downloaded for free from Adobe Systems, Inc.
Disease Prevention & Health Promotion
Health & Wellness Page