Registered Environmental Health Specialists
All Registered Environmental Health Specialist certificates expire December 31st of each even numbered year. DHHS, Licensure Unit will send the certificate holder a renewal notice at least 30 days before December 31st of each even numbered year to the certificate holder’s last address of record. The certificate holder can renew his/her certification by paying the renewal fee, and returning the completed renewal notice attesting to the completion of twenty-four (24) contact hours of continuing education. The certificate holder can also place his/her certification on inactive status by marking inactive status and returning the completed renewal notice.
Inactive – Means that you cannot practice but may represent yourself as having an inactive certification. To change from inactive to active status you must meet renewal requirements which are in effect at the time status change is requested.
Waiver of Continuing Education Hours
If a certificate holder had circumstances beyond his/her control that prevented obtaining continuing education hours, he/she may request a waiver on the renewal notice of all or part of the continuing competency requirement. The circumstances shall include:
- Holds a Nebraska certification but is not practicing in Nebraska.
- Served in the regular armed forces of the United States during part of the 24 months immediately preceding the certification renewal date;
- Suffered from a serious or disabling illness or physical disability which prevented completion of the continuing competency requirements during the 24 months preceding the certification renewal date;
- First licensed within the 24 months immediately preceding the certification renewal date;
- The certificate holder is retired from the active practice of environmental sanitation;
- Attended a college, university or other institution of higher education for a residence period of time in excess of eight months during any part of the twenty-four months immediately preceding the biennial certificate of certification renewal date;
- Other circumstances beyond the certificate holder’s control that prevented completion of the continuing competency requirements.
Provisional Environmental Health Specialist
Certification as a provisional environmental health specialist shall be valid for one year and may be renewed for two additional one-year periods. In no case, shall a certificate for a provisional environmental health specialist exceed a three-year period.
Professions and Occupations Home
Licensing & Regulatory Affairs Home
PDF format require the use of Adobe Acrobat Reader