Advanced Practice Registered Nurse-Nurse Practitioner
All APRN licenses issued by the Department expire on 10/31 of each even-numbered year. To renew a license, the licensee must submit the renewal notice attesting to having met the requirements of continued competency and pay the renewal fee of $68 dollars.
Nurses who fail to renew their APRN license by October 31st will automatically have their licenses expired. If a nurse does not renew their nursing license, they will be required to reinstate their license. They will be required to submit a reinstatement application, pay the reinstatement fee of $103.00, submit proof of meeting continuing competency requirements, and the Affidavit of Practice/Non-Practice. Nurses who continue to practice after their license has expired (November 1st) will be required to pay a fee of $10 per day for every day practiced up to a maximum of $1000.
The continued competence requirement the APRN must meet are as follows:
- Current National Certification/Recertification;
- Documentation of a minimum of 2080 hours of practice as an APRN within the previous 5 years immediately preceding renewal AND documentation of 40 contact hours of continuing education in the clinical specialty area within the previous 2 years, ten hours of which shall be in pharmacotherapeutics;
- At least 500 of the 2080 hours of practice must be in a clinical role in which there is a direct nurse/patient relationship;
- Applicants who have not been licensed in Nebraska or authorized by any other jurisdiction for a minimum of two years shall not be required to meet the continuing education or practice requirement for license renewal;
- Applicants who have not been licensed in Nebraska or authorized by any other jurisdiction for a minimum of five years shall not be required to meet the practice requirement for license renewal.
Professions and Occupations Home
Licensure Unit Home
PDF format require the use of Adobe Acrobat Reader