ball green Nurse Practitioner Home Page
ball green Applications
ball green Board Information
ball green Brochures
ball green Certification/Verification
ball green Complaints
ball green Contact Us
ball green Continuing Education
ball green Controlled Substance Registration
ball green Duplicate/Reissue
ball green Examination
ball green Fees
ball green License Lookup
ball green Name/Address Change
ball green Nursing News
ball green Listings
ball green Practice Defined
 Guidelines for Specialty 

 Scope of Practice
ball green Renewal Information
ball green Regulations
ball green Student Loan Act
ball green Unprofessional Conduct

Advanced Practice Registered Nurse-Nurse Practitioner

Nursing and Nursing Support Section

An Advanced Practice Registered Nurse-Nurse Practitioner (APRN-NP) is a registered nurse who has obtained additional education and licensure to manage common health problems and chronic conditions including prescribing treatments and medications.

Most APRN-NPs have a masters or doctoral degree in nursing. All must pass a national certification examination. APRN-NPs practice in collaboration and consultation with physicians and other health care practitioners. APRN-NPs are eligible for federal controlled substance registration. APRN-NPs may prescribe controlled substance Schedules II through V. APRN-NPs may receive samples.

LB 107 passed this last legislative session.  This bill eliminates the requirement for a nurse practitioner to have an integrated practice agreement with a collaborating physician.  The bill became effective August 30, 2015
So, what does this mean for you?  If you are a Nurse Practitioner who has practiced a minimum of 2,000 (two thousand) hours as a Nurse Practitioner, you do not need to do anything.  You simply will not be required to have an integrated practice agreement with a collaborating physician after the effective date. 
However, if you have NOT practiced as a Nurse Practitioner a minimum of 2,000 (two thousand) hours, you will need to submit to the Department a Transition to Practice agreement.  The Transition to Practice agreement must be with a supervising provider who may be a physician, osteopathic physician or nurse practitioner.  The supervising provider must be licensed and practicing in Nebraska in the same practice specialty or related specialty.


Federal Controlled Substances (DEA) Registrant Information can be accessed by credentialing organizations, hospitals, and pharmacies after obtaining a User ID and Password. To obtain a User ID and Password contact the Licensure Unit by e-mail at

In addition to General License Information this version of the data contains Federal Controlled Substances Registration numbers and expiration dates for health care providers that hold a Nebraska license and have submitted proof of holding such Federal Registration. Federal controlled substances (DEA) registrant information is validated on licenses at the time of issuance and updated on a quarterly basis.


crl divider

Professions and Occupations Home

Licensure Unit Home

Documents in PDF PDF format require the use of Adobe Acrobat Reader

which can be downloaded for free from Adobe Systems, Inc.