Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

Community Pharmacy

Applications, Requirements & Fees

Any person or entity intending to establish, operate, or maintain a pharmacy (a facility where drugs and devices are dispensed) in Nebraska, must first obtain a pharmacy license from the Department. 
A Community Pharmacy applicant must:

  • Submit a written application to the Department which includes the information required by Title 175 Chapter 8 Regulations Governing Licensure of Pharmacies.  Please see regulation 175 NAC 8 when completing the application form. The inspection will be based on the information you indicate on the application form in relation to these regulations.
  • Submit the required fee of $625 (checks made payable to DHHS Licensure Unit).

Once the Department receives the completed application and the fee, the application will be reviewed by the pharmacy inspector. If there are deficiencies, you will be notified by telephone, e-mail, or US Mail.  If the application is complete, you will be issued a provisional pharmacy license up to 5 weeks prior to your opening date. If you change the anticipated date of opening, it is IMPERATIVE that you contact the Department. The pharmacy inspector will then contact you within 60 days to set up a time for the initial on-site inspection.

In order to prepare for the inspection, a facility may utilize the Pharmacy Quality Assurance Report (PQAR/self-inspection) to check all items (1 through 34) for compliance, as they will be covered during the initial inspection completed by the pharmacy inspector.  In this case, the self-inspection form should NOT be sent to the Department after completion.

Upon passage of the inspection, the application file will be reviewed for issuance of a permanent community pharmacy license. Please note that this permanent license number will be different than your provisional pharmacy license number. You will want to advise insurance carriers of the change.  The facility will NOT be required to obtain a new DEA registration based on the change from a provisional status to a permanent status.

The applicant may obtain the Application for Registration for Federal Controlled Substances from the Federal DEA Office by visiting the DEA website at or by calling 888-803-1179Nebraska does not requires a state controlled substances registration. Only the federal registration will be required.

If the facility dispenses controlled substances, an opening controlled substances inventory will need to be emailed to or sent via mail to the Department prior to the initial on-site inspection. Please do NOT fax the initial inventory.  The initial inventory will be logged in and forwarded to your pharmacy inspector.  Please make note of the date  the controlled substances inventory was emailed/sent to the Department, as this date will become the due date of the next year’s ANNUAL controlled substances inventory.


Documents in PDF PDF format require the use of Adobe Acrobat Reader
which can be downloaded for free from Adobe Systems, Inc.
Good Life. Great Mission.