Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

Alcohol and Drug Counseling

Applications, Requirements and Fees



Application to Take the Written Examination

Licensed Alcohol and Drug Counselor

Alcohol and Drug Counselor

Reciprocal Licensed Alcohol and Drug Counselor

Please review the application instructions carefully as they provide additional information relating to the requirements to obtain a license.  The following is short summary of only the education, exam and experience requirements.
Provisional Alcohol and Drug Counselor:
  • Has a High School Diploma or GED or College Degree.
  • Completed 270 clock hours of education (workshops, seminars, institutes, college/university coursework) related to the knowledge and skills of alcohol and drug counseling.
  • Completed supervised practical training, which includes performing a minimum of 300 hours in the 12 core functions and no single function performed less than 10 hours.
Alcohol and Drug Counselor:
  • Has or holds a provisional alcohol and drug counselor.
  • Has completed 6,000 hours of supervised clinical work experience providing alcohol and drug counseling services to alcohol and other drug clients for remuneration.
  • Has received a passing score on Examination for Alcohol and Drug Counselors given by the IC&RC/AODA, Inc. or its successor.
Alcohol and Drug via Reciprocity:
  • Documentation from the IC&RC/AODA, Inc. member jurisdiction that the applicant holds a valid reciprocal credential in that jurisdiction and is entitled to its endorsement;


Fee Schedule  


Documents in PDF PDF format require the use of Adobe Acrobat Reader
which can be downloaded for free from Adobe Systems, Inc.
Good Life. Great Mission.