Foster parents must complete 27 hours of pre-service training before a license is issued. Additionally, 12 hours of in-service each year is required to maintain and renew the license.
Pre-service training will inform you about:
- your responsibilities as a foster parent;
- the available resources to help you;
- how you can get your family ready for the child;
- how separation effects the child and the kinds of behaviors you can expect from them;
- how to be sensitive to the foster child’s problems and needs;
- how to work with the birth parents; and
- payment for foster care services.
In-service training can be completed by:
- reading books or watching videotapes, or
- attending trainings or conferences presented by the Department or within your community.