Child Care Subsidy Information for Parents

Subscribe Subscribe to this page


Child and Teacher​The Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) may be able to help with the cost of child care through the Child Care Subsidy Program.  In order to determine eligibility for the Child Care Subsidy Program, the Department will review a number of factors including, your gross income both earned income (for example; wages) and unearned income (for example; child support, Social Security payments, and Unemployment Insurance).

There is help for:

  1. Families who are no longer eligible for Aid to Dependent Children (ADC) because of earnings; and
  2. Families who have not recently received ADC. Families may be eligible if income is at or below the monthly income limit, which is based on family size.


In order to qualify for assistance, you must need child care because you are:
  1. Employed;
  2. Actively seeking employment;
  3. Participating in an Employment First activity as part of the ADC program;
  4. Attending school or training sessions;
  5. Going to medical or counseling appointments for yourself or another child; and/or
  6. Incapacitated (must be verified by a physician).
If there are two parents in the family, both parents must be participating in one of the activities listed above in order to qualify.
Kids playing with blocks
Generally, the Child Care Subsidy Program is for children age 12 or younger. However, a family may receive Child Care Subsidy for a child up to the age of 19 if the child requires extra care due to an acute or chronic physical or mental condition.
Depending on your income, you may owe a monthly fee that is paid directly to your child care provider. They will then bill DHHS for the remainder of the bill.
Quick Links

All families eligible for Child Care Subsidy may select a provider of their choice. However, DHHS will only pay for child care if the child care provider is licensed or approved by the Department.

In addition the provider must have a Provider Agreement with DHHS. Parents can select providers from the following:

  • Licensed Child Care Centers;
  • Licensed Family Child Care Homes;
  • License Exempt Homes: A home that is not required to be licensed by state law; and 
  • In-Home Care: Care provided in the parent’s home (there are some restrictions on this type of care).
Baby and blanketIf you would like to use a provider who is not already approved (such as a friend or family member) a referral will need to be completed for them to begin the approval process.  This can be done be contacting ACCESSNebraska and providing them with the name of your provider, their address, and their phone number. ACCESSNebraska will then send the referral to Resource Development and they will be in contact with the provider in regards to getting approved. This process generally takes about six weeks to complete. Once the provider is approved, payment may be backdated to the date the referral was made.
To learn more about the Child Care Subsidy Program contact ACCESSNebraska by calling 1-800-383-4278 (toll-free) or 402-323-3900 (Lincoln) or 402-595-1258 (Omaha) or to apply visit
For help finding a child care provider or in using the list of providers on the Child Care Roster, call 1-800-89-CHILD or 1-800-892-4453.
For additional questions contact:
Nebraska Department of Health & Human Services
Child Care Subsidy
P.O. Box 95026
Lincoln, NE 68509-5044
Phone: (402) 471-9325
Documents in PDF PDF format require the use of Adobe Acrobat Reader
which can be downloaded for free from Adobe Systems, Inc.