(Only for marriages occurring in Nebraska since 1909)
A legal copy of a marriage certificate cannot be issued without proper purpose. You may get a marriage certificate for yourself or your parents.
Be sure that you meet the above proper purpose (an application by the person(s), or one of the children of the persons listed on the marriage certificate). The fee for the search will be kept if no record is found or the right person has not asked for the record. You will be notified in writing if no record is found or the proper purpose has not been met.
To get a marriage certificate by mail, send an $16.00 check or money order made out to Vital Records (no credit cards) and send the following information:
- Full name at birth of Groom/Party A.
- Full name at birth of Bride/Party B.
- Month/Day/Year of marriage.
- County where license was issued.
- Why record is needed?
- If not your record, how are you related?
- A photocopy of the current government-issued photo id of the person making the application, i.e. current driver's license
Marriage Certificate Application
Nebraska Department of Health & Human Services
Division of Public Health
P.O. Box 95065
Lincoln, NE 68509-5065
Phone: (402) 471-2871
Documents in PDF format require the use of Adobe Acrobat Reader
which can be downloaded for free from Adobe Systems, Inc.
Vital Records Homepage
Rules and Regulations Page