State Unit on Aging
"To promote the Dignity, Independence, and
                                    Freedom of Choice for Older Nebraskans"

Advance Directives
An Advance directive is a statement or instruction a person makes about his or her wishes concerning health care.  The advance directive would be in writing and made while the person is still capable of knowing what his or her wishes are. There are two basic types of advance directives. 

Durable Power of Attorney for Health Care:  A durable power of attorney for health care, also known as a health care power of attorney, allows one person ("the principal") to appoint another person ("agent") to make certain health care decisions for the principal if the principal becomes incapacitated.

Living Wills.  A living will is a declaration made by a person while still capable regarding the person's wishes concerning health care.  It is made before the person becomes incapacitated and is generally effective only if the person is unable to express his or her wishes at the time a health care decision has to be made.
For more information on advance directives contact your attorney, the legal service provider at your local Area Agency on Aging, the ElderAccessLine or the State Unit on Aging.
The forms needed for advance directives area available on this website. Please select one of the following to view the forms. The actual forms needed for advance directives are available on this Website.  Please select one of the following to view the forms.

Legal Assistance
Legal assistance and elder rights program work in conjunction with other programs and services in the aging network to maximize the independence, autonomy and well-being of older persons. Attorneys provide legal assistance on issues such as income security, health care, consumer protection issues such as bankruptcy, collections, foreclosure and consumer fraud and scams, long-term care, defense of guardianship, abuse, neglect and individual rights. Legal assistance is targeted towards older individuals in social and economic need.

For more information, contact your local Area Agencies on Aging or the State Unit on Aging.

Elder AccessLine
The Elder AccessLine serves people over 60 throughout the State of Nebraska. Topics include but are not limited to consumer and debt collection practices, Medicare and Medicaid, homestead exemptions, Advanced Directives and grandparent's rights.
People can call the Elder AccessLine for free legal advice, resources, and brief services.  The attorney will be available by phone to talk with callers, and can provide some simple legal documents such as Powers of Attorney, Simple Wills and Advance Directives.  For more information visit  Or call statewide 1-800-527-7249. In Omaha call 402-827-5656.

From time to time, almost everybody has a dispute with a neighbor, or a business, or some other person or organization.  Many people do not like the idea of going to court to resolve disputes and are not aware that there are other ways to resolve disputes.   One method that is available to all Nebraskans is mediation. Mediation is a process in which trained professional mediators assist people in conflict to communicate and make voluntary, informed choices in an effort to find a mutually acceptable resolution to their dispute.  Mediation does not attempt to force a solution, but instead assists the parties in the dispute to work out solutions themselves.  Mediators strive to be impartial, neutral and unbiased, and do not attempt to steer the solution to one side or the other.

Nebraska has a number of Mediation centers available to the public.  For more information, log onto

Nebraska Long Term Care Ombudsman Program
Long Term Care Ombudsman staff and volunteers act as resident advocates, seeking to resolve complaints and concerns from and on behalf of residents of nursing homes and assisted living facilities. For more information on the Long Term Care Ombudsman Program and the services they provide, select the link below.
Nebraska Long Term Care Ombudsman Program

Prevention of Elder Abuse, Neglect & Financial Exploitation
Programs and services are available to protect older persons from elder abuse, neglect and financial exploitation. These include Legal Assistance, Guardianships and Conservatorships, Adult Protective Services to report elder abuse, Long Term Care Ombudsman program, TRIAD (organization of law enforcement and community organizations) and Nebraska Advocacy Services. The Elder Rights Coalition made up of these and other entities to discuss trends in elder abuse, undertake special projects and provide training to professionals and consumers.

Adult Protective Services (APS) investigates reports of vulnerable adult abuse/neglect/exploitation. For more information on APS services visit Or call 800-652-1999 to report elder abuse.

The State Unit on Aging and APS in conjunction with Area Agencies on Aging and other community organizations observe World Elder Abuse Awareness Day (WEAAD) each year on June 15. Statewide activities include disseminating posters, brochures, Speak-up Cards, Bookmarks and Fact Sheets on elder abuse; presentations in the communities at senior centers and long-term care facilities and airing of radio and television advertisements to raise awareness about elder abuse. See our resources posted on

Consumer Protection
The Consumer Protection Division of the Nebraska Attorney General's Office protects consumers from fraud and deceptive trade practices, as well as ensures fair competition between businesses.  The division enforces several laws that protect consumers from false, misleading, and undesirable sales practices.  A mediation service is available to consumers to help them resolve complaints against businesses.  It also provides consumers with the information and education they need to make important decisions.

For more information, log onto To report scams, call the Senior Hotline at 888-287-0778.

For information on the National Fraud Information Center, visit

Age Discrimination
Discrimination in employment based on age is prohibited in Nebraska.  In general, covered entities include most private and non-profit employers with 25 or more employees, state, and local government subdivisions of any size, employment agencies, and labor organizations.

Unlawful employment practices generally include discrimination in the area of hiring and promotion (e.g., classification, recruitment, selection); compensation (pay and benefits); discipline (including termination); and other terms, conditions and privileges of employment (e.g., training and development, relationships and associations, freedom from workplace harassment).

The Age Discrimination Act also contains provisions barring retaliation.  Anyone who has opposed any practice made unlawful by the statutes or who has participated in any manner in any proceeding to enforce the statutes is protected.

For more information on the Nebraska Equal Opportunity Commission visit or call any of their following offices: Lincoln 800-642-6112; Omaha 800-382-7820 or Scottsbluff 800-830-8633.


FY 18 Annual Report on Legal Ser​vices Program​

Surrogate Decision Making PDF (English)
Surrogate Decision Making PDF (Spanish)
Living Will Form PDF PDF   MS Word Word
Nebraska Power of Attorney for Health Care Form PDF PDF   MS Word Word
Cultural Competence Toolkit PDF
Nebraska Area Agencies on Aging Map


For more information, contact:
Department of Health & Human Services
State Unit on Aging
P. O. Box 95026
Lincoln NE  68509-5026


Toll Free Phone: (800) 942-7830 
Local Phone: : (402) 471-2307

Documents in PDF PDF format require the use of Adobe Acrobat Reader
which can be downloaded for free from Adobe Systems, Inc.

Good Life. Great Mission.