Nebraska Planning Council on
Nebraska State Plan for Developmental Disabilities
Fiscal Years 2012 - 2016
The Nebraska Council selected the following goals as their priorities over the next five years. Priorities were determined with input from self-advocates, family members, Regional Councils, and service providers.
Goal #1: Community Inclusion
To support increased communication and personal relationships between children and adults with and without developmental disabilities in order to increase inclusion in ten communities.
- Support replication in at least 2 communities of activities that resulted in more opportunities for inclusion of children and adults with developmental disabilities.
- Identify current recreation options for children and adults with developmental disabilities in the state by surveying a representative sample of at least 100.
- Maintain a network of six regional councils to conduct local activities across the state in advocacy, capacity building and systemic change based on the Council's State Plan priorities.
Goal #2: Employment
To increase the employment of individuals with developmental disabilities working in integrated settings and earning at least minimum wage in projects funded by the Council.
- Improve two policies that impact transition services from school to work resulting in jobs after graduation.
- Increase training and education on employment directed at service providers, individuals, families, employers, service coordinators, and community members.
Goal #3: Quality Assurance
Influence at least five policies that support quality services across the lifespan based on the needs and decisions made by persons with developmental disabilities and their families.
- Maintain legislative advocacy to insure continued support of people with developmental disabilities and their families.
- Increase education and training opportunities for those who support people with developmental disabilities in the community.
- Increase practices of safety along with reasonable risk for people with developmental disabilities in the community.
Goal #4: Quality Assurance - Self-Advocacy
To increase quality assurance by supporting self-advocacy to become a valuable resource and increasing its visibility to policymakers so that 20% of legislators know the People First of Nebraska organization.
- Support self-advocacy groups to increase their participation at all levels of policy development.
Goal #5: Health
To improve the health of individuals with developmental disabilities by expanding access to health care and insuring inclusive public health services by influencing policies in three areas.
- Assess the health care concerns of people with developmental disabilities and their families.
- Expand in-service and pre-service training in two healthcare professions.
- Promote healthy lifestyles.
- Promote the use of telehealth to all areas across Nebraska.