Nebraska Planning Council on
Nebraska State Plan for Developmental Disabilities
Needs Assessment Survey
Results of the Nebraska Planning Council on Developmental Disabilities Needs Assessment survey and focus group studies have been completed.
The Nebraska Council selected the following goals as their priorities over the next five years. Priorities were determined with input from self-advocates, family members, Regional Councils, and service providers.
Goal #1: Community Inclusion
To support increased communication and personal relationships between children and adults with and without developmental disabilities in order to increase inclusion in ten communities.
- Support replication in at least 2 communities of activities that resulted in more opportunities for inclusion of children and adults with developmental disabilities.
- Identify current recreation options for children and adults with developmental disabilities in the state by surveying a representative sample of at least 100.
- Maintain a network of six regional councils to conduct local activities across the state in advocacy, capacity building and systemic change based on the Council's State Plan priorities.
Goal #2: Employment
To increase the employment of individuals with developmental disabilities working in integrated settings and earning at least minimum wage in projects funded by the Council.
- Improve two policies that impact transition services from school to work resulting in jobs after graduation.
- Increase training and education on employment directed at service providers, individuals, families, employers, service coordinators, and community members.
Goal #3: Quality Assurance
Influence at least five policies that support quality services across the lifespan based on the needs and decisions made by persons with developmental disabilities and their families.
- Maintain legislative advocacy to insure continued support of people with developmental disabilities and their families.
- Increase education and training opportunities for those who support people with developmental disabilities in the community.
- Increase practices of safety along with reasonable risk for people with developmental disabilities in the community.
Goal #4: Quality Assurance - Self-Advocacy
To increase quality assurance by supporting self-advocacy to become a valuable resource and increasing its visibility to policymakers so that 20% of legislators know the People First of Nebraska organization.
- Support self-advocacy groups to increase their participation at all levels of policy development.
Goal #5: Health
To improve the health of individuals with developmental disabilities by expanding access to health care and insuring inclusive public health services by influencing policies in three areas.
- Assess the health care concerns of people with developmental disabilities and their families.
- Expand in-service and pre-service training in two healthcare professions.
- Promote healthy lifestyles.
- Promote the use of telehealth to all areas across Nebraska.