Child/Adult Abuse and Neglect Central Registry
By law, the Department of Health and Human Services must keep electronic records of individuals who the Department or the courts find responsible for abuse and neglect of a child or vulnerable adult. We maintain these records in the Nebraska Child Abuse and Neglect Central /Adult Abuse and Neglect Central Registry.
How is the Registry used?
- To conduct pre-employment background checks
- To approve licenses for child care programs
- To approve placement of children for foster care or adoption
- To collect statistical data
Who uses the Registry?
- Individuals, facilities, or programs with employees or volunteers who work with vulnerable adults or children
- Agencies or programs for persons wishing to adopt a child or children
- Children and Family Service Specialists and Resource Development staff
- Other Department of Health and Human Services staff
How is information released from the Registry?
- The Department will release information to third parties only when the third party has obtained a signed release of information form from the individual whose name the Department will check.
- The information that the Department releases to third parties is limited to whether or not a record was found in the Registry.
- The Department will notify individuals whose names they have added to the Registry in writing.
- The Department will also release information to individuals who would like to check if their name is on the Registry.
How do I become a registered provider?
Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services
Children and Family Services Policy Unit
Attn: APS/CPS Registry
P.O. Box 95026
Lincoln, NE 68509
How do I request information from the Registry?
Only registered providers may request a pre-employment background check on the Registry, please complete and submit a ‘Background Check – Agency Request Form.’
If you would like to check if your name is on the Registry to become a guardian and/or conservator, please complete and submit the 'Guardian/Conservator Central Registry Self Check Form.'
If you would like to check if your name is on the Registry, please complete and submit the ‘Background Check – Self Check Form.’
How can I request my name be removed from the Child/Adult Abuse and Neglect Registry?
If your name is on the Registry and you believe the information is not accurate or the Department has not maintained the information in a manner consistent by law (Nebraska State Statutes 28-718 and 28-380), you may request that your name be removed (or “expunged”) from the Registry.
If you would like to request that your name be removed from the Registry, please submit the ‘Expungement Review Request’ form posted below.
Documents in PDF format require the use of Adobe Acrobat Reader
which can be downloaded for free from Adobe Systems, Inc.