Child Welfare System or Juvenile Justice System Grievances 


Nebraska Revised Statute 81-603 requires the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) to implement a formal grievance process for families involved in the child welfare system or juvenile justice system. Such grievance process shall ensure that families are not dissuaded from utilizing the grievance process for fear of reprisal from DHHS, providers or foster parents. A report of each grievance allegation and the determination of any action to be taken by DHHS shall be provided to the Inspector General of Nebraska Child Welfare within 10 days after such determination is made.  

Grievance Process:

What constitutes a grievance? 

A grievance is a complaint based on circumstances or action that the person wants to protest because he or she believes DHHS failed to follow child welfare statutes, regulation or procedures.

Initial Process:  Prior to filing a grievance, youth, parent or legal custodian are encouraged to resolve their concern with the assigned CFS Specialist, the CFS Specialist's Supervisor, the CFS Administrator and/or the Service Area Administrator. 

What cannot be grieved through this process?

  1. Any court ruling or current statute.
  2. Actions of Guardian ad Litem (GAL), Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA), the Office of Probation Administration, judges or any other person not employed by the Department.

File a Grievance

DCFS staff work hard to ensure that children served by our Division are safe, achieve permanency, experience educational success and that their physical and emotional needs are met. DCFS understands that there may be occasions where youth or parents may have concerns that are not satisfactorily resolved by the worker, supervisor or local administrator.  These concerns are important to us and we will make every effort to resolve these concerns through the grievance protocol.


If you have completed the initial process of trying to resolve your concern through the local office and you continue to be dissatisfied with the outcome, please fill out the Grievance Form to file a formal grievance. 


Form Instructions

  1. Open, Complete, and Print the Grievance Form;
  2. Sign the form;
  3. Scan and Save the form to your hard-drive (if you plan to email it); and
  4. Email the signed/scanned form as an attachment; OR
  5. Send the signed paper copy in the US mail to the address below.


Division of Children & Family Services
P.O. Box 95026
Lincoln, NE 68509-5044
Phone: (402) 471-9272
Get PDF Adobe Acrobat Reader from Adobe Systems, Inc.