Aid to Dependent Children

Since February 1936, Nebraska has operated the Aid to Dependent Children (ADC) program established by the U.S. Congress in Title IV of the Social Security Act. In August 1996, the program became a federal block grant known as TANF (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families).


AccessNebraska - Click here to pre-screen and apply for benefits online 


This program provides cash assistance to low-income families with children 18 or younger. ADC income is used to pay for family living expenses like rent, utilities, food, clothing, and other necessities.
To be eligible for ADC cash assistance, a family must have net monthly income less than the program’s need and payment standards.
Sometimes, families may consist of both parents and children. At other times, there may be a parent absent due to separation, divorce, or death. When both parents are absent, a different family member such as a grandparent, aunt, or uncle may receive on behalf of the child(ren).
A family may receive benefits and services from other assistance programs as well. The household may be eligible for the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) {formerly Food Stamp Program}, which helps families supplement their food supply.  In addition, families may be eligible for subsidized child care to allow adults to participate in Employment First activities which prepare them for employment or help them remain employed.
To encourage movement towards independence, all ADC adults who are able to work must take part in the Employment First program. Employment First provides training, education, work experience, and employment-related activities and supportive services to adults.
ADC adults must also agree to cooperate with Child Support Enforcement efforts as required to remain eligible for assistance. 

ADC families where the parent(s) are capable of attaining independence are limited to receiving a lifetime of 60 months of cash assistance. The time period begins with the first month of eligibility.  Families where the parent is disabled or otherwise found to be unable to work are not time-limited.

ADC families who become ineligible for cash assistance because of an increase in pay may become eligible for extended assistance. These families may receive up to five transitional cash grants and six months of Medicaid coverage without consideration of income. They may receive up to six additional months of Medicaid coverage if the countable income is below 185% of the federal poverty level. Subsidized child care on a sliding fee schedule is also available to these families with income below 185% of the federal poverty level.

To apply, an application must be completed and given to the Nebraska Department of Health & Human Services. For more information, contact your nearest Health and Human Services Office. Or, you may download an application form and mail it to the nearest Health and Human Services Office.

GO TO ACCESSNebraska to:

  • Select a self screening to determine the programs for which you may want to apply; AccessNebraska - Click here to pre-screen and apply for benefits online

  • Complete an online application that you can complete and submit electronically;

  • Print a paper application that you can complete and mail.

Documents in PDF PDF format require the use of Adobe Acrobat Reader
which can be downloaded for free from Adobe Systems, Inc.

Financial Assistance Page

Welfare Reform Page