What Happens if I am Reported for Abuse?

A Protection and Safety Worker and/or law enforcement will visit with you.  The worker conducts an assessment to determine if the child is safe.  The worker may initiate a referral to community resources, or in cases where the child is unsafe, may need to get court involvement.

If a child is unsafe, law enforcement may temporarily remove the child(ren) from the home for their protection.  The Protection and Safety Worker helps the family improve their situation so that the child(ren) may be returned home.

You and the worker can talk about what seems to cause problems in your home.  You and your worker will set up a plan to make the needed changes.

You are encouraged to talk about any problems in your family.  Your worker knows of a number of programs and services that may be useful.

If the child is safe, the worker may encourage the family to access community resources and our case is closed.

Help Stop Child Abuse

Call the Abuse/Neglect Hotline at 1-800-652-1999

Do not use e-mail to report cases of abuse.
If there is an emergency call local law enforcement immediately.

Child Abuse Page

Neglect & Abuse Page