Every child deserves a loving family.


The Department of Health and Human Services will search for biological relatives to obtain their proof of death, or their written consent for release of identifying information to the adoptee, as a confidential intermediary for individuals meeting the following criteria:

  1. adult adoptees, age 21 and older; and
  2. born in Nebraska; and
  3. meet one of the following criteria:
    a. whom were the subject of an attorney facilitated domestic adoption without the benefit of an adoption agency, or
    b. whom are unable to contact the child placing agency involved in the adoption, or
    c. whom were a ward, or placed in foster care, under the supervision of the Department of Health and Human Services at the time of the adoption.

If you meet these requirements and would like to make a request for an adoption search, please begin your search by mailing a Request to Access Birth Information to Vital Records.  You will need to complete the “Request to Access Birth Information” form and mail it, with the fee, to Vital Records.

Once it has been determined that DHHS Children & Family Services is the appropriate agency to conduct your search, you will be referred for search services by Vital Records.
To begin your search with Children & Family Services, please send the following information with your signed request:

  1. A copy of the Vital Records response to your inquiry for birth information.
  2. A letter signed and dated by you that contains the following information:
    • Adoptive name,
    • Present name,
    • Present address,
    • Present telephone number,
    • Social Security number,
    • Date of birth,
    • Names of adoptive parents,
    • Date of adoption if known,
    • Any other things you may know about the circumstances of your birth (i.e. names, addresses, hospitals, attorneys, agencies, friend, etc.), and
    • What you are hoping to get out of the search.

What will the search provide?
Children & Family Services will conduct a search for biological parents and/or biological siblings by:

  • Requesting information from the county court which the adoption took place,
  • Searching state records for any information about the unknown family members, and
  • Using online search engines to identify and locate relatives

If and when we are able to locate, contact, and verify the identity of your unknown relative, we will release to them information you want them to know.

During the search process, if it is found that an existing private adoption agency had a part in completing the adoption, we can refer you to them to complete the search.

When the search has ended, we will:

  • Notify you in writing of our efforts and findings,
  • Send written notification to the county court where the adoption took place of our findings, and
  • Place the adoption search file in our storage

This service is not available to biological relatives searching for an adoptee. To file your consent for release of identity and contact information to be given to a relative adoptee, please contact Vital Records at (402) 471-0918 to inquire about the Adoption Registry.


The Department of Health and Human Services will release non-identifying child welfare case record information when a request is received from a former ward adoptee, upon his/her written request when the adoptee has reached the age of majority (age 19).

To submit a request for former ward-adoptee records, please complete this form and submit it with your request.

Any questions and all information should be submitted to:

Division of Children & Family Services
Department of Health and Human Services
P.O. Box 95026
Lincoln, NE 68509-5044
Phone:  (402) 471-9254

PDF GET Adobe Acrobat Reader