Central Registry checks will no longer be accepted via Fax or Email.
You may follow the steps below to request a check via USPS mail:
- Complete a Central Registry Check Request Form (CFS-5)
- Obtain a notarized signature on the Central Registry Check Request Form
- If submitting your check for a Business or Organization:
- Include the Business or Organization's Portal ID in order for results to be made available
- If the Portal ID is not provided, results will be returned to the individual's address
- Mail the completed form to:
PO Box 94906
Lincoln, NE 68509
Once submitted to DHHS, your check will be processed in the order it was received. If you provide an email address, you will be notified when it has been updated or completed.
Once processed by DHHS, your check will be available to view on the portal using the Request Number and PIN associated with the Check.
Click here to View Check Request on the Central Registry Portal
Individuals may view the status of or any completed results of a Central Registry check at any time on the portal by selecting View Check Request and entering the Request Number and PIN associated with the Check.
Businesses and Organization are able to log onto the portal and access the status or results of any of their Checks at any time. For more infomraiton, see Viewing Check Requests as a Business or Organization
Results for Central Registry checks submitted via USPS mail will be sent via US mail when completed.
The time it takes to complete a Central Registry check once it has been submitted to DHHS is five business days on average. Please allow up to two weeks for checks submitted via USPS mail. Users may be alerted to additional time requirements by checking the status of their Central Registry check on the portal.
Central Registry checks are only good as of the date listed on the results, additionally, DHHS will not process any Central Registry check that is older than six months received via either the Portal or via USPS Mail.
Central Registry checks submitted via the portal will require Individuals to complete each field. Checks can be sent back as incomplete if the uploaded notary page is not completed accurately or for the following reasons:
- Incomplete Fields
- Illegible information
- No payment provided
- No signature and/or notary
- Check boxes not marked
- Conflicting information
Under Nebraska Revised Statute 28-725 it is a Class V misdemeanor to release classified information from either the Nebraska Child Abuse and Neglect (CAN) Central Registry or the Nebraska Adult Protective Services (APS) Central Registry to a wrongful party. Therefore, all Applicants for Central Registry checks must have their Identity Verified.
Central Registry checks submitted via the portal have two options for identity verification:
- Online Identity Verification
- Correctly answer a number of questions, based on information submitted in the Central Registry check
- Upload Notarized Signature
- Print the Notary form when it is presented on the Portal
- Have your signature notarized by a Notary Public
- Return to the portal and upload a copy of the Notarized document
Central Registry checks submitted via mail require a notarized signature.
No. Applicants under the age of 19 cannot use the online identity verification option as the authorization for the Central Registry check must come from their parent or guardian. These applicants will need to use the notary upload option and have their parent or guardian sign the notary form.
Nebraska Revised Statute 28-718 (3) authorizes DHHS to charge for Central Registry checks as a way to recoup costs and support staff time.
Central Registry Portal Request using Online ID verification= total of $5.00 ($1.00 ID questions; $2.50 DHHS fee; $1.50 payment processing fee)
Central Registry Portal Request using Notary Form= total of $4.00 ($2.50 DHHS fee; $1.50 payment processing fee)
Central Registry Mail in Request=total of $2.50 ($2.50 DHHS fee)
Mail your completed Central Registry Check Request to:
PO Box 94906
Lincoln, Ne 68509
Make Checks payable to:
Department of Health and Human Services
As a Business or Organization member on the Portal, your unique Portal ID number will be listed in the Portal's Header next to the name of your Business or Organization, on your Business or Organization's Home Screen.
Businesses or Organizations will use their Portal ID to submit checks via USPS mail on paper. Results will then be available to the Business or Organization on the Portal when they're ready.
No. However, Nebraska.Gov Subscribers do receive additional benefits including monthly invoices, the ability to cover the cost of Online Identity Verification for your Central Registry checks, and access to additional services on Nebraska.Gov.
- For issues with the Central Registry Portal (navigation, clarification, error messages), please contact the DHHS helpdesk by phone at (402) 471-9069 or by email at email@example.com
- For issues with payments, chargebacks, or subscription services, please contact the Nebraska.Gov helpdesk by phone at (402) 471-7810 or online at http://www.nebraska.gov/contact/
No. Applicants with addresses outside of the United States but complete the paper form and submit this form via USPS mail
No. Once a request has been sent back as incomplete, the applicant must start a new request.
If you are an emancipated minor, you must complete your request on the paper form and submit this via USPS mail along with documentation showing you have been emancipated.