Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

Child Support Enforcement


Establishing paternity is the legal term for determining the biological father of a child. When a married woman gives birth, her husband is presumed to be the father of the child. When a child is born outside of a marriage, the father doesn't automatically have the same rights and responsibilities.

The law allows the mother, child, father or the State of the Nebraska to legally establish that a man is the father of a child. This can be done by completing an Acknowledgment of Paternity or through the Court.  When this occurs, the child's paternity has been established.

The easiest way to legally establish paternity in Nebraska is for both parents to sign a Voluntary Acknowledgment of Paternity. You can complete this form at the hospital upon the birth of the child. If paternity wasn’t established at birth, you can obtain the form at the DHHS Vital Records Management Office.Vital Records



For more information, contact:
Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services
Child Support Enforcement
P.O. Box 94728
Lincoln, NE 68509-4728
Phone: (402) 441-8715
1-877-631-9973 (toll-free)

Documents in PDF PDF format require the use of Adobe Acrobat Reader which can be downloaded for free from Adobe Systems, Inc.