What is Medical Support?
Medical support is a form of child support that requires one or both parents to provide health care coverage. Current law requires that every child support order must include a provision for health care coverage.
The parent may be ordered to:
- provide health insurance if available through an employer;
- pay premiums for private health care coverage;
- reimburse a parent for all or a portion of the costs of health insurance obtained by that parent;
- pay additional amounts to cover a portion of ongoing medical bills or as reimbursement for uninsured medical costs; or
- provide a specific dollar amount to be deducted for medical purposes if neither parent has health care coverage.
For Additional Information:
Medical Support State Contacts
NMSN Form and Instructions