Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

Child Support Enforcement

Custodial Parent
     Request Review and Modification

​Under Federal and State law, you have the right to request a review of your child support order. If you have an open child support case with Child Support Enforcement (CSE), you may request CSE to review your support order. If you do not have an open child support case with CSE, you will need to apply for child support services prior to requesting a review.

To apply for Child Support Services: Click Here to complete an application online or call the Nebraska Child Support Customer Service Center at
1-877-631-9973, Option 2, to request a paper application.

You may also contact a private attorney to assist you with the modification of your order.

To request a review of your court order, it must meet the following criteria:

  1. The order is for current support;
  2. The order is an active Nebraska order;
  3. Nebraska maintains continuing exclusive jurisdiction under UIFSA or Nebraska is the proper state to acquire continuing exclusive jurisdiction under UIFSA for the support order;
  4. At least one party resides in Nebraska;
  5. The location of all parties involved is known;
  6. The non-custodial party is not institutionalized or incarcerated;
  7. The order is not a tribal order;
  8. The youngest child in the order will not reach the age of majority within the next 12 months;
  9. The order is not an order registered for income withholding only;
  10. The order does not require a change in custody to cause a modification of support;
  11. An order may be reviewed one year after the most recent request for review if CSE’s determination after the previous review was not to refer to the CA/AA for filing an application to modify because financial circumstances had not lasted for three months or were not expected to last for an additional six months.
  12. An order will not be reviewed by CSE or the County/Authorized Attorney (CA/AA) if it has not been three years since the present child support obligation was ordered unless:
    • The newly calculated child support and current support obligations vary by the percentage according to the Nebraska Supreme Court guidelines and the variance is due to the financial circumstances which have lasted three months and can be reasonably expected to last an additional six months;
    • Health care coverage is available to either party and the
      child(ren) does not have health care coverage other than Medicaid;
    • The requesting party demonstrates a substantial change in circumstances that has lasted for three months and is expected to last an additional six months;
    • The present child support obligation does not provide for health care coverage; or
    • Such review is required by Title IV-D of the Social Security Act.

In the review, the income of both parties will be used to calculate the amount of support that should be paid by the non-custodial party according to the Nebraska Child Support Guidelines. The amount could go up, down or stay the same. 

Please be advised that CSE can only consider the financial information available at the time of the review. There are certain factors that the Court may consider when computing your child support amount that could change the final child support order. For example, the Court may consider other children living with the non-custodial party when computing the child support amount. In addition, financial circumstances may change between the time of the review and the Court hearing that may increase or decrease the final amount of child support ordered.

CSE staff will review your order and if the review findings indicate that there is a potential 10 percent increase or decrease in current child support amount, your case will be referred to the CA/AA. Whether the CA/AA chooses to move forward with the modification action is at their discretion.

An order may be considered appropriate for referral for health care coverage if it is currently not included in the order and it is available to the responsible party at a reasonable cost.

For more information or to request a review, contact Nebraska Child Support Customer Service Center at 1-877-631-9973, Option 2.


For more information, contact:
Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services
Child Support Enforcement
P.O. Box 94728
Lincoln, NE 68509-4728
Phone: (402) 441-8715
1-877-631-9973 (toll-free)

Documents in PDF PDF format require the use of Adobe Acrobat Reader which can be downloaded for free from Adobe Systems, Inc.