Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Use SHIFT+ENTER to open the menu (new window).

CSE cannot help parents with custody or visitation issues. You will need to contact a private attorney for help in these areas.


​Yes. If a non-custodial parent lives in another state, CSE will either send a Notice to Withhold Income directly to the parent's employer or will ask that state to pursue the support obligation.  


​Child support services are available to parents and relatives who complete the child support application. You can either complete the application online at or call 1-877-631-9973, option 2, and request a paper application.


​When CSE receives a payment, the payment is prorated to current support in all cases to which the non-custodial parent owes.


​In Nebraska, child support obligations are computed using an income shares formula. This means both parent's incomes are used to compute the monthly support obligation. Child support guideline worksheets and tables are used to calculate support obligations. If you believe the amount of current child support should be raised, it may be possible to pursue a review and modification of support if there has been a substantial change in circumstances, or it has been more than three years since the order was issued, modified or reviewed.  If an adjustment is appropriate, the new amount could be higher or lower than the amount in your current order. 

If you are interested in requesting a review and modification, please call 1-877-631-9973, option 2, to request a packet.


​Custodial parents may be charged a $25 annual service fee from all cases in which a minimum of $500 has been collected and disbursed to the Child Support payee (custodial parent). The fee will not be changed in cases where the custodial parent has received TANF (Temporary Assistance to Needy Families) at any time.  The fee is charged per CSE case.


Call the Nebraska Customer Service Call Center at 1-877-631-9973, option 2.