Newsroom > DHHS News Release
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
July 15, 2010
Jeanne Atkinson, Communications and Legislative Services, (402) 471-8287
Employer Trainings Will Focus on Traumatic Brain Injury and Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
Lincoln – As men and women have returned from deployment and transition from active duty to civilian lives, some may be living with the effects of traumatic brain injury (TBI) or post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Over a dozen organizations are joining efforts to make sure Nebraska employers are familiar with these issues and resources.
“We all want returning service members to succeed in the workplace,” said Kerry Winterer, CEO of the Department of Health and Human Services. “It’s important that employers of veterans of all eras know the signs and symptoms of TBI and PTSD and are familiar with available resources that support both employers and veterans.”
Two half-day employer trainings are planned:
- August 31, Camp Ashland: 12:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m., 220 County Road A, Ashland, NE. Register by August 27.
- September 15, Kearney Armory: 12:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m., 5710 Airport Road. Register by September 10.
The training will make employers aware of:
- Benefits of hiring and retaining veterans;
- Signs and symptoms of TBI and/or PTSD; and
- Resources, services and information available to employers of veterans who may have experienced TBI or PTSD.
Employers can register for one of the training sessions by going to http://nebraskatickettowork.com/other/registration.php.
For more information contact Sharon Johnson at (402) 471-1764 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The following agencies are collaborating to sponsor the workshops:
- Assistive Technology Partnership
- Army National Guard
- Brain Injury Association of Nebraska
- Center of Children, Families, and the Law
- Center for Independent Living of Central Nebraska
- Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve (ESGR)
- Goodwill Industries of Greater Nebraska
- Lutheran Family Services
- Madonna Rehabilitation Hospital
- Military OneSource
- Nebraska Department of Education, Vocational Rehabilitation
- Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services (Divisions of Behavioral Health,
Medicaid and Long-term Care)
- Nebraska Department of Labor
- U.S. Department of Labor
- Veterans Administration, Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Services