Newsroom > DHHS News Release
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
January 26, 2010
Marla Augustine, Communications and Legislative Services, (402) 471-4047, firstname.lastname@example.org
DHHS Announces Change to Vital Records Requests
Online Services Available
Lincoln – The Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services’ Division of Public Health, at 4011 7th Avenue in Kearney, will no longer accept walk-in requests for birth certificates.
The office will not have a reception area and therefore will not be open to the public. The change is effective Friday, January 29.
In the past, the Kearney office accepted requests and forwarded them to the DHHS Vital Records office so people would not have to travel to Lincoln.
People can now request birth certificates online at www.dhhs.ne.gov/publichealth/Pages/ced_bicert.aspx at their convenience, at any time of the day, night or on weekends. Online requests can be processed and mailed within 7-10 business days.
The most frequent requests have been for birth certificates for kindergarten enrollment, proof of age for sports, passports, insurance, Social Security and retirement purposes.
In addition to online requests for birth certificates, vital records may be requested by several methods:
- Requests through regular mail can usually be processed within 10-15 business days. Send requests to: Vital Records, P.O. 95065, Lincoln, NE 68509.
- Expedited or next day emergency services can be obtained by written request using commercial overnight delivery services or by calling the Vital Records emergency phone line weekdays at (402) 471-6440 between 9:00 a.m-3:00 pm CST.
- Additional information on requesting vital records may be obtained by calling (402) 471-2871.
Since the office will be closed to the public, other Division of Public Health staff can be accessed by telephone:
- Children’s Services Licensing (such as child care licensing): 308-865-5592
- Emergency Medical Services (EMS)/Trauma: 308-865-5629
- WIC: 308-965-5616
- Immunizations: 308-865-5609
This does not affect services provided by the DHHS office located in the Buffalo County Courthouse.