Newsroom > DHHS News Release
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
November 9, 2009
Jeanne Atkinson, Communications and Legislative Services, (402) 471-8287
Annual Report Shows How DHHS Helps People Live Better Lives
Lincoln – “Helping People Live Better Lives” is more than a mission statement, it’s what the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) does every day through its many programs and services. An annual report highlighting DHHS programs and services is now available online at http://www.dhhs.ne.gov/Pages/annualreport.aspx. The report is a brief overview of DHHS’ many responsibilities and accomplishments for fiscal year 2008-09, which runs from July 1, 2008 through June 30, 2009.
“The activities and services of the Department are provided by dedicated staff committed to doing their best for the people of Nebraska,” said Kerry Winterer, CEO, DHHS. “I’m proud of the work we do.”
This year’s annual report is more interactive with links embedded within the copy to provide more detailed information about certain program areas and services at DHHS.
Highlights from the 2008-09 annual report include how DHHS:
- Launched a Network of Care Web site for Behavioral Health and Web sites for other divisions to make the Department more accessible;
- Increased total support collections by Child Support Enforcement by 7.2% over the previous year for a total of $196,553,460;
- Affected the lives of each and every Nebraskan through public health efforts like safe drinking water, clean air and disease prevention;
- Distributed more than 75 percent of DHHS funding for cash benefits and services to Nebraskans; and
- Continued to see high satisfaction survey results of Veterans’ Home members when, according to a recent survey, nearly 90% would “recommend their veterans’ home to others.”
DHHS’ annual report for fiscal year 2007-08 recently received a gold award from the National Public Health Information Coalition.