Newsroom > DHHS News Release

May 28, 2009

Jeanne Atkinson, Communications and Legislative Services, (402) 471-8287


Old Paper Food Stamp Coupons are No Good After June 17, 2009

Lincoln – Although the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) has used Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) cards to issue food stamp benefits to eligible Nebraskans since 2002, some people may have a few paper food stamp coupons left.

“If you have any paper food stamp coupons left, you need to spend them now,” said Todd Reckling, director of the Division of Children and Family Services. “Stores won’t accept food stamp coupons after June 17. Only EBT cards will be accepted from then on.”

The EBT card is used much like a debit card, but the benefits must still be spent for food. Ongoing benefits are issued during the first five days of each month regardless of holidays or weekends. EBT benefits can be used in any state as well as the District of Columbia, Guam and the Virgin Islands.

The Food and Nutrition Act of 2008 set the expiration date for paper food stamp coupons.

The Farm Bill of 2008 changed the name of the federal Food Stamp Program to its new name, Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program or “SNAP.” The new name reflects the national focus on nutrition and putting healthy food within reach for low income households. LB 288 was introduced in the Legislature this session to change the program’s name in Nebraska also.”

To see if you are eligible for Food Stamp (SNAP) benefits or to apply for benefits, go to . DHHS’ EBT Web site can be found at