Newsroom > DHHS News Release
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
March 24, 2008
Mike Wight, Communications and Legislative Services, (402) 471-3486, email@example.com
DHHS to Hold Hearing April 3 in Lincoln regarding Licensed Dental Hygienists and Dental Assistants
Lincoln – The Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) Division of Public Health will hold a public hearing April 3, 2008 at 9:00 a.m. CT. The hearing will take place in Lincoln at the State Office Building, 301 Centennial Mall South, Lower Level Conference Room ‘A.’
The Division of Public Health is holding this hearing to accept comments on proposed changes to regulations on Performance of Duties by Licensed Dental Hygienists and Dental Assistants. The proposed changes will –
- Clarify the duties that are and are not permitted by licensed dental hygienists and dental assistants;
- Modify requirements a dental assistant must meet in order to take dental roentgenograms (x-rays);
- Implement LB 247, passed in 2007, which allows the Department to:
- authorize licensed dental hygienists to perform certain dental hygiene functions in the conduct of public health related services in a public health setting or in a health care or related facility without the supervision of a licensed dentist;
- authorize procedures and functions that can be performed by licensed dental hygienists under the general supervision of a licensed dentist; and
- Implement the Health and Human Services Act and statutes relating to dentistry as amended by LB 296, passed in 2007.
Anyone may attend and comment at the hearings or submit comments in writing. Written comments must be postmarked or received by 5:00 p.m. CT, April 5, 2008. They should be sent to DHHS Regulatory Analysis and Integration, 301 Centennial Mall South, P.O. Box 95026, Lincoln, NE 68509, faxed to 402-742-2382, or e-mailed to Rules.Regs@dhhs.ne.gov.
If auxiliary aids or reasonable accommodations are needed to participate in a hearing, please call 402-471-9022. Persons with hearing impairments may call the DHHS at 402-471-9570 (voice and TDD) or the Nebraska Relay System at 711 or 800-833-7352 TDD.
Draft regulations and DHHS hearing notices are available online at: http://www.dhhs.ne.gov/Pages/reg_hearings.aspx.