Newsroom > DHHS News Release
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
June 26, 2008
Marla Augustine, DHHS, Communications and Legislative Services, (402-471-4047), email@example.com
DHHS to Hold Hearing July 3 in Lincoln
Lincoln – The Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS), Division of Public Health will hold a public hearing July 3, 2008 at 10:00 a.m. CT. The hearing will take place in Lincoln at the State Office Building, 301 Centennial Mall South, Lower Level Conference Room ‘A.’
The hearing is being held to accept comments on proposed new regulations for licensure of independent mental health practitioners and mental health practitioners and certification of marriage and family therapists, professional counselors, and social workers. The proposed changes will:
- Implement provisions of the Uniform Credentialing Act (UCA), including:
- Define processes for initially obtaining, renewing, reinstating, or voluntarily surrendering a credential to practice;
- Require that a credential may only be issued to a citizen of the United States, an alien lawfully admitted into the United States who is eligible for a credential under the UCA, or a nonimmigrant whose visa for entry, or application for visa for entry, is related to said employment in the United States;
- Eliminate lapsed status as a renewal option and allow reinstatement for an expired license;
- Specify acts or behaviors considered unprofessional conduct for these professions;
- Specify continuing competency requirements and provide for waiving the continuing competency requirements;
- Revise definitions for terms.
- Implement provisions for the licensure of independent mental health practitioners, including the specific scope of practice and requirements to attain this license (Laws 2007, LB 247 and Laws 2008, LB 1108).
Anyone may attend and comment at the hearings or submit comments in writing. Written comments must be postmarked or received by 5:00 p.m. CT, July 7, 2008. They should be sent to DHHS Regulatory Analysis and Integration, 301 Centennial Mall South, P.O. Box 95026, Lincoln, NE 68509; faxed to 402-742-2382; or e-mailed to Rules.Regs@dhhs.ne.gov.
If auxiliary aids or reasonable accommodations are needed to participate in a hearing, please call 402-471-9022. Persons with hearing impairments may call the DHHS at 402-471-9570 (voice and TDD) or the Nebraska Relay System at 711 or 800-833-7352 TDD.
Draft regulations and DHHS hearing notices are available online at: http://www.dhhs.ne.gov/Pages/reg_hearings.aspx.