Newsroom > DHHS News Release

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

August 6, 2008

CONTACT
Kathie Osterman, Communications and Legislative Services, 402-471-9313

 

Disaster Food Stamp Program Helps Thousands

Lincoln – The Department of Health and Human Services has tallied the number of people helped by the disaster Food Stamp program and the subsequent dollars that will be spent locally.

DHHS approved the one-month's worth of disaster benefits for 23,557 households statewide, bringing over $11 million of federal funds into Nebraska for food purchases.

"This federal program is meant to put food back on the table for low income people who had losses from flooding and power outages," said Todd Landry, director of the DHHS division of children and family services.

The United States Department of Agriculture approved nine sites in counties that had been approved for federal disaster assistance. Sites in Lexington, Kearney, Schuyler, Ceresco and Millard opened June 26, followed by four sites in Omaha on July 7.

"Federal USDA staff who visited Omaha were impressed with how our employees responded to the need and adjusted when necessary to get the job done," Landry said. "I'm proud of our staff and the many volunteers who helped."

The length of the power outages in Omaha contributed to the high number of applications. Landry said almost 98% (23,051) of the total number were from Douglas and Sarpy counties.

-30-