Newsroom > DHHS News Release
For Immediate Release
November 1, 2016
Kathie Osterman, Communications and Legislative Services, (402) 471-9313
DHHS Veterans’ Homes to Hold Veterans Day Programs
Lincoln –The Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services’ Division of Veterans’ Homes is saluting America’s heroes this Veterans Day with a variety of activities at its four Veterans’ homes located in Scottsbluff, Norfolk, Bellevue, and Grand Island.
“Veterans Day gives us an opportunity to celebrate the commitment and sacrifice of our state’s Armed Forces heroes. We thank them for their service,” said John Hilgert, Director of DHHS’ Division of Veterans’ Homes.
Western Nebraska Veterans’ Home -- Scottsbluff
The VFW in Scottsbluff is sponsoring a Veterans Day program at the Western Nebraska Veterans’ Home (WNVH). It starts at 1:30 p.m. on Friday, November 11. The program will include patriotic songs by JaCee Pilkington Petko, a former Miss Nebraska; a poem read by the VFW Chaplain; and remarks from the WNVH Administrator Lonnie Stark, as well as the President of the Western Nebraska Community College Student Veterans Organization, Veterans Upward Bound.
Norfolk Veterans’ Home
The Norfolk Veterans’ Home (NVH) has several days’ worth of activities planned to honor its heroes.
- On November 10, NVH will celebrate the Marine Corps 241st birthday with a hamburger feed for the members, sponsored by the Norfolk Elks Lodge.
- On Veterans Day, November 11, the local service organizations in Norfolk are having a 9:15 a.m. flag raising in the NVH plaza, followed by a program at 9:30 a.m. with guest speaker Bill Jeppesen, the American Legion Rider.
- November 11 at 10:30 a.m. there will be a community Veterans Day program at Norfolk High School, and a 1:00 p.m. program at Norfolk Catholic High School.
Eastern Nebraska Veterans’ Home -- Bellevue
- Saturday, November 5 at 10 a.m., members and staff are participating in the 17th annual “Defenders of Freedom” Parade in Old Town Bellevue.
- A Veterans Day program will take place on Friday, November 11 at 2:00 p.m. at the Eastern Nebraska Veterans’ Home, 12505 South 40th Street in Bellevue, Nebraska. Offutt Brass, the brass ensemble of the United States Air Force Heartland of America Band, will perform. The group provides patriotic music and fanfares for military ceremonies, important civic events and conducts educational clinics throughout Nebraska. The program is open to the public and will take place in the main dining room.
Grand Island Veterans’ Home
The facility is holding several activities throughout the month including:
- November 7: Veterans Day Bingo with Northwest High School students.
- November 9: A Veterans Parade, co-sponsored with Grand Island Sr. High School, featuring floats, military vehicles, dignitaries and Color Guards, as well as the Unity band comprised of the bands from all of the Grand Island high schools.
- November 11: Veterans Day Breakfast at the United Veterans Club.
The purpose of these events is to pay tribute to the men and women who have served, especially DHHS Veterans’ Home members, and are serving in the U.S. Armed Forces.